Anyone with COPD experiencing Headaches?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been experiencing some major headaches in the last couple of weeks.  The weather has been raining, hot, and extremely humid 115 Farenheit....so I don't know whether these headaches are due to the weather or the COPD.   I had not been sleeping elevated, but I have tried that and still wake up way before dawn with horrible headaches..  Anyone else have this going on?  Thanks...Breathless

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It's low levels of oxygen while you sleep. I get them too. Ibuprofen 8 knocks the hell out of them. Ask your doctor to prescribe some for you.

• Posted

Have u checked your oxygen level if it's low that will give you headaches hope u feel better soon

• Posted

No, I have never experienced headaches due to COPD.  I have, however, experienced headaches due to the issues with my spine and neck, but, as I said, not because of having COPD.  Good luck with it Breathless.  Take care.  

• Posted

So glad you don't have them.  I m seeing the Pulmonologist on Tuesday, so I will discuss this with him.  We will see.  You take care yourself.  / will let you know what I find out.  Breathless.

• Posted

Hope it goes well with the Pulmonologist on Tuesday.  I do notice that my pain levels with the issues I have in my spine, etc. seem worse during hot weather.  Not sure if it's just my imagination, but high pressure with respect to weather does seem to increase the pain.  We have been having temps in the high 20's Celsius for quite a few weeks now, although in the last few days it has cooled off a little.  I live in a resort town on Vancouver Island in B.C. off the west coast of Canada.  The tourtists love it, the weather, me, not so much.  Better than last year though, we had a lot of fires and the air quality was terrible.  I woke up one morning looked out the window and the sky was an orangey pink color.  It was like a heavy fog outside, except it wasn't fog, it was particles in the air from the wild fires.  I was very nervous as there is 26 acres of brush/trees behind my property that was dry as tinder.  There are people that camp there every summer and I was worried that they might drop a cigarette or not put out their fires properly.  Didn't happen, thank God.  Anyway, enough about me and totally off topic.  Again, hope it goes well for you Breathless.  

• Posted

Morning breathless! Yes I've often had some bad headaches in the morning & can last for a while a painkiller such as co-coda mol usually helps but sometimes would have to take another some hours later would usually wait untill the 4 to 6 hour gap before taking another but most times by the 4th hour I also get pain at the back of my eye with the head ale also get nose bleeds & for the last Month & half I've been suffering from floaters in my right eye it turns out part of the jelly st the back of the eye has come away have been told it's nothing to worry about unless I get more of them or they change or I see shadows! Don't know if it's to do with my inhalers or my other medicines I'm taking! do you get or anyone else see this post gets these symptoms I've mentioned is it part of the copd I'm at stage 2 near to stage 3 & have noticed lately with this humid weather I've been getting more breathless than usual! I do think that perhaps the weather does have something to do with how it effects those of us with copd! Take it easy & rest as much as you can! Have a good day & everyone else

• Posted

Yeah I do when the humidity gets bad,I stay out of it,as much as possible! Below 30 deg u need to stay out of it too unless u have a scarf,the summer time there's no way to stop or help that! Stay out of severe weather or smokey areas n Don't walk n talk! U will be breathless!

• Posted

Good you are seeing the pulmonologist next week.  My advice would be to ask for your blood oxygen levels to be double checked, I am bearing in mind you mentioning on another post you are already at severe stage, already on oxygen and living with COPD for many years.

I personally don't get headaches as a result of COPD, but then my oxygen levels are normally always good.

As you may know people with COPD do get headaches when their blood oxygen levels are low but this usually comes with other symptoms as well, 

Heat can results in headaches

Dehydration (not drinking enough water)

If your headaches are extreme and lasting 24/7 and not responding to paracetamol, you should probably see your doctor soonest,  who may also check your 02 levels among other things.

Good luck, hope you can get relief soon.

• Posted

I never got headaches hardly before being diagnosed w ATHERSCOLIS N COPD STAGE2,SO R THEY DUE TO COPD?
    • Posted

Vee, I was told at diagnosis after lung wash, biopsies and many other tests what stage I was in that was probably the 2nd day of hospitilization.  At that point I was on my 4th day of no sleep...I was placed on oxygen ONLY while in the hospital....I do not use oxygen at home....I do not want it....and it was not suggested...So I use two different inhalers, a nebulizer as needed and 2 oral medications montelukast and claritin, I have no cough, I do not smoke any longer, I have been off those for 3 months...May 29th was my quit date.  So we will see tomorrow what the pulmonologist thinks about these headaches.  I have my pulse ox meters here at home...and my Bp machines....so yes they are in the low 90's in the mornings, but after a cup of black coffee they rise up...but the headache does not subside.  I am about to think it could also be the fans my husband runs 24/7 and one is facing right at the bed...but if that's what it is...we will deal with it.

• Posted

Not withstanding what I have mentioned to breathless above.

Who knows why you now get headaches, probably your doc will be able to advise you best.

Generally I would say headaches are not due to COPD.  But your own headaches ( if they are persistent and not responding to over the counter medicine ) should be something to discuss with your doctor.

Do check all the information leaflets that come with all of your meds for listed side affects.  Keeping in mind not everyone will get all of the side affects.  But if you find headaches are listed you can then take it up with your doctor.

• Posted

In addition to what I mentioned above, headaches can be caused by any number of things, for instance the allergys you take the Claritin for. Check the information leaflet that comes with your other medications for headache side affects also.  But then if you have only been getting these headaches for a couple of weeks, could it just be the heat?

Or have you noticed your blood oxygen dropping lower than usual since you have been getting these headaches, these are the sort of questions to ask yourself.

Be sure you are drinking plenty of water in the heat and sure a fan directed straight at your bed could be the cause.

Congratulations of staying smoke free for 3 months, 

Have a good visit with your pulmonologist tomorrow.

Best wishes V

• Posted

Ty anyway,I don't go back to my Dr.till then of the month of September! I go for a Stress test next month also!

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words.  I talked to the Pulmonologist about it and he stated their were several reasons I could be getting these headaches, so he did some more blood work and his going to have a night-sleeping mapping test to see if when I sleep I may not be breathing out enough of the Carbon Dioxide.  At any rate I got some great news (at least it was good for me and my spouse), he is now moving me from End Stage COPD even though my numbers are so low to a Moderate level.  He said my Enzymes and the lung functions were not matching up...that I was doing to many things to put me in that End Stage Category.  Wow.  I was elated.  We have turned off the fans and will wait and see what the sleep study shows.  If it helps they will prescribe a small bottle of oxygen for me to just sit down and rest to use.  I did find out in the state of Texas you can't just prescribe Oxygen, you have to qualify for it.  I never knew that ....wonder what our new government will have to say about that.

God Bless, everyone have a great day.  There are no do overs in this life.   Breathless...but breathing easy today.  

• Posted

Hopefully your new government won't be someone whose name begins with a T, as I don't imagine he would hold oxygen qualification high on his

agenda list.  Just saying.  Take care and breathe easy (as you are today)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.