Anyone with mild COPD and shortness of breath... at rest!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have very mild COPD with FEV1 over 80% (normal) and CANNOT understand why some days I have difficulties breathing ...at rest! I'm not sure if it's COPD or hyperventilation (I have general anxiety disorder too) and it's driving me crazy! How coul one gasp for air with such a mild COPD at rest? 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Raspout,I have copd with 60% function. The only time I feel I can't breathe is when I think about it. It's just anxiety. Can't tell you how to stop feeling anxious though.
  • Posted

I reckon that's you anxiety, COPD at that level wouldn't be causing that.  What do you do about the anxiety disorder?
    • Posted

Well I tried everything under the sun medication wise, including alcohol... Seriously I'm taken care by a psychiatrist but meds don't do much as I am in witdrawal process as I became dependant on benzodiazepines. I also have a cognitive behavioral therapist but it takes time.
    • Posted

As you've no doubt discovered, alcohol is only a very short-term remedy to anxiety.  CBT is great but of course it does take time:  in the meantime I'd suggest mindfulness meditation
  • Posted

I also have mild COPD, and I sometimes get a little 'chesty' when it's humid, and it also makes me anxious. But I find that if I breath properly using either any (or a combination of) breathing techniques (tummy breathing, Buteyko breathing, pursed-lip breathing, or yoga) it generally helps .. especially with the anxiety.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube which show you how to breath. I find Buteyko very very relaxing.

Try not to worry .. If you're COPD is very mild,  it's almost certainly anxiety which is causing your shortness of breath.

But if you're worried and want to put your mind at rest, have another word with your GP.

Jo

• Posted

Great reply, Josephine, saved me the trouble of recommending the breathing techniques:  they do make such a huge difference.  I've found that if I miss them for more than one day for any reason I really suffer, ditto my usual daily walk with the dog.

I'm interested that you find Buteyko helpful, when I contacted them for one of their free introductory sessions I was told it's not really helpful for COPD:  I was amazed at their honesty!   Yoga helps with EVERYTHING eh?  Ditto meditation ......

• Posted

Definitely think its more of an anxiety thing, Raspout. A word with your GP is probably your best bet. Maybe there are some exercises you can perform to calm yourself down?

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I have pretty much the same. I think it's to do with air pollution, possibly mainly ozone, so it tends to be worse on warm days with no wind if there is a lot of traffic in the neighbourhood. Could it be this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.