Anything I can do to avoid thrush while on prednisone?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just returned from GP and have been diagnosed with Thrush as a side effect of the prednisone.  I am on 21 mg.

i am now on Fluconazole for 14 days.

Is there any natural way to avoid this in the future or perhaps clear this up more quickly.  Thanks

Audrey. ---Florida

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Audrey when I first got poly, the dr. put me on 8mg of predisone....I have had it for about 7 years now, and worked down to only 2mg.....it keeps me comfortable....I don't understand WHY they have you on such a large dose, but i have noticed on this site, almost all of you are on large doses...dont know WHY you have the thrush unless it is the large dose of the prednisone....

• Posted

I suffered with Thrush for years, a doctor suggested I take Mutibionta which contains probiotic enzymes. This was before it was available like it is to-day, and the chemist had to get it in specially. I suffered badly with Thrush, believe me this does work. I just take one a day, and wouldn't be without it, have taken it for years. Do hope it helps like it has helped me.

Christine

• Posted

Audrey,

i too too am suffering with Thrush. Never had if before, didn't know what it was even. I'm on 8 mg Pred. 7 months PMR.

i was disappointed doctor didn't mention keeping probiotics in my system!  She just said NO dairy!!! 

NOW she's telling me to take the probiotics pill form, atleast 12 billion active cells, and the most Lactobicilus ingredients possible. I take 3-4 times a day.

OH!  And said refrigerated is more potent!  So buy ones that are refrigerated. They are pricey, but I'm willing if I can avoid this Thrush ever again!  I fear mine is combined with esophageal issues perhaps from acid reflux, which I didn't know I had.  Going to GI type doctor in two weeks. All from Prednisone.

When i research causes of Thrush, I've seen many articles say, corticoid steroids. Ugh.

I self diagnosed it, Rheumy put me on swish and swallow Nystatin for 7 days. 1/2 way through, not much change yet. 

I may sneak in yogurt or maybe coconut yogurt and apple cider vinegar through straw, and perhaps other good bacteria type foods.

take care.  Hope we get over it soon and not get again!  Avoid sugar!  But I read fruits ok. 

• Posted

Wow! The answers here to the thrush problem are super enlightening.

I didn't realize how important the probiotic enzymes are. 

I'm allergic to the protein in milk which means yoghurt which I ate lots of for decades bothers me too. I started eating soy yoghurt but now I'm noticing it is much harder to get and so I think something is up with soy yoghurt. Does anyone know?

I took a pill form of probiotic while I was taking 3 weeks of antibiotic as precaution in case I had Lyme Disease. Turns out I didn't have Lyme but PMR. Neverthess the antibiotic reduced the inflammation and I felt somewhat better. Even went out dancing but the effect didn't last.

I guess the next step is to get some probiotic back in my diet because it seems to be a good thing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.