Appendix - Confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

6 weeks ago I had symptons of appenditicis. Went into hospital after NHS Direct advised me. Symptons included, pain by belly button then moved to lower right side. Feeling sick, loss of appetite. The pain was mild, but enough that I could not sleep, Had 4 bloods taken which resulted in increased white cells, stomach hurt more when DR took his fingers off my stomach. 4 different DRs said it was appendicitis, I questioned this as I said I can still walk and am not rolling up in pain. They operated and did not remove the appendix. Surgeon said they were not inflamed. Asked why I still had this pain, he said he does not know. Went to a hospital appointment last week and the Dr said I do have grumpling appendix but I am too healthy to have them taken out. He said that if I get a fever or vomit then I need to go into hospital to have them removed. I am still in pain, take pain killers everyday to help with the pain, constantly feeling hot, sometime feeling sick. My question is I have never heard of grumbling appendicitis, I was of the understanding that if you had appendicitis you couldnt move, rolling around in pain being sick...

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Johnny. I had exactly this. They took my healthy appendix out saying it looked inflammed. Turns out I had something called diverticulitis instead. I had pain very similar to appendicitis for over 2 months after that disastrous operation before someone finally listen to me and I got diagnosed. They all told me it was just post op pain. I'm younger 39 and it was on tight side just like appendicitis. I also had increased wbc and crp. Ask for ct with contrast if your pain persist. Ultrasound didn't pick mine up. Next stop would be coloscopy for diagnosis
    • Posted

Appendectomy, The Consultant is arranging a scan and im going back to see him in September. I've never heard of diverticulitis but will certainly mention this to the consultant.

• Posted

The symptoms of both are identical. Very easy to miss. I don't know how old you are but it's overlooked diagnosis in us under 40. As it's fairly uncommon. It does seem to become more common now though. No the me and a friend been operated in our 30s for it. My operation was a mistake to remove my healthy appendix. Saying that I had peritonitis and fluids in my gut at the time. Very painful. The pain gets worse with movement or bending over. Even sitting down can make it worse. Only relief is lying down on the sides. It's a full, persistent pain. Can also get very constipated from it.
  • Posted

How did this go?
    • Posted

I had me appendix removed, I saw 3 different consultants in 3 months all who said the same, that I has an internal recurrent appendix. so in 4 months had 2 operations. I feel alot more better, healthy and dont feel sick and most of all no pain 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.