appointment with Rheumatologist

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've got an appointment with a Rheumatologist on Tuesday. No idea what to expect. Any hints or tips on what to do?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your first appointment will be a thorough exam with lots of questions.  My rheumatologist has a lab in their office and I had to give a ton of blood so they could rule out Lupus and check my sed rate, ana and a whole panel including vitamin d level. Do yourself a favor and write everything down.  I find it easier for them to read what has been happening in chronological order (maybe bullet points makes it easier to read) than to try to remember to tell your doc everything.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks, i've been trying to note down pains and symptoms but always miss things out x

• Posted

Hi the rheumatologist will ask you your pain history where it hurts how long etc then he will examine maybe send you for some xrays and bloods hope you have a good one cos mine was rubbishx
    • Posted

Sorry you didn't have a good one, i'm a bit nervous but hoping to talk to someone who .doesn't look at me like i'm making it up

• Posted

Hope it goes ok for you today stand your ground if he fobs you off cos if it is fibro they will tell you go back to your doc with fibro you need help and advice not being passed back and forth to someone who doesnt know anything about fibro take care good luckxx
  • Posted

There are several doctors in the group where I go.  I didn't like the first doctor I got.  He was a jerk.  I had the Nurse Practioner for awhile and I loved her but she took another job so I was reassigned.  I absolutely love the doctor I have now.  She is a real listener and will spend as much time with me as I need.  I've had her for 7 years now so she knows my history.  I have had a hard time with meds.  They always have the opposite reaction than they are supposed to with me so she is careful when prescribing a new med and she is not afraid to give me something for pain. 

If you don't like the doctor don't be afraid to switch.  We pay their salary so by all means find one you are comfortable with and are not afraid to talk freely and doesn't make you feel like you are making this stuff up!

• Posted

Thanks Casper, my practice has several doctors, first one told me fibro doesn't exist but did blood tests for thyroid, 2nd doc, a stickler for thhe 10 minute appointment so looked at symptoms one at a time, 3rd doc seemed sympathetic, more blood tests, but left the surgery, 4th doc said I'm not comfortable with this and suggested seeing another doctor, 5th doc, more blood tests, couple of scans and a diagnosis but was offended when I asked for referral to rheumo. Let's see how tomorrow pans out. Glad you've found a sympathetic doc xx
  • Posted

Jemini...all I can say is just be you..be truthful...I really believe the they need to know everything you suffer from-it really helps if you have it all written down too..as you can easily feel pressured to remember everything...and brain fog sets in ..then your history..lol..they may give you many varying tests..but you should get a diagnoses ...then you can finally feel validated...it's soo freeing..., we all have such different experiences with our first visit to the Rhumo...I remember when I was first diagnosed..over 20yrs ago....I had suffered from different symptoms for a good 10 years, my poor my doctor was treating each one seperately....hope all goes really well for you Jemini..be blessed, have a lovely day..:-) xxxx don't fir get to let us know!!!
  • Posted

Hi Jemini Hope your appointment goes well on tuesday for you. when I went to see the rheumatologist he did a pressure point test on different parts of my body their are 18  in total. I got the full 18 he sent me for blood tests and a bone scan that was to rule out rheumatoid arthritus. when I went back to see him the only thing that showed up was low in vitamin d. he then told me it was fibromyalgia and refered me back to my gp. write everything down just tell him exactly how you feel your symptoms. good luck for tuesday take care
  • Posted

Can't say to do anything. My experience with my RA , makes me feel as though he labeled me fibro and wants to give me meds and get me out of his office. WE DONT SEE EYE to EYE.
  • Posted

I hope you find a sympathetic doc too. I was initially diagnosed with RA but something didn't feel right to me. While all the symptoms fit like pain in both hands, elbows etc. I still felt there was more to it. I did a ton of research and spoke to my doc about fibro. She agreed with me and here we are today. Don't give up. Nobody knows your body like you do. Sometimes they need a little help coming to a definitive diagnosis. It's such a complicated syndrome. Good luck tomorrow. Xoxo
  • Posted

All the best with your appointment today. Just tell him/her everything, and you will get diagnosed straight away..Don't worry..biggrin
  • Posted

good luck for appointment today with the rheummatologist hope all goes well for you, try not to worry take care gentle hugs 
  • Posted

Thank you all for your support, it means a lot. Well my appointment went ok, even if i do feel a bit sore in places. The Rheumatologist was sympathetic and understanding. i had 13-14 in the pressure point tests, she confirmed fibromyalgia. discussed possible meds, pros and cons. Had more bloods but have to wait for results. Being refered to the fit for life programme which gives discounted use to swimming pool and gym as i was worried that my reduced ativity would cause more weight gain and put more pressure on joints. Rheumo said rest when you need to, exercise when you are able and never let anyone tell you it's not a real illness or all in your head. Even though i know there is no easy fix and i'm stuck with it, it felt good to talk to someone who seemed to understand. Let's hope that in time there will be more understanding and more answers for us all. Gentle hugs to you all xx

• Posted

That is excellent news jemini your rheumatologist sounds an absolute gem. so pleased for you that she was understand and knew what she was doing and saying.the fit for life programme sounds really good. take care gentle hug

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.