Are Lyme spirochetes present in human saliva?

Posted , 2 users are following.

What do you think? Is kissing REALLY safe?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Neldunnio, from what I have researched it seems reasonable safe. The Borellia bacteria is a spirochete and Siphilis belongs to same family...there are a few papers that suggest it can be passed on between sexually active partners, but looks as though the research there is very small and so not conclusive. However it would be sensible to take precautions if you have a partner that has Lymes Disease. I would say that kissing is safe.
    • Posted

Thanks for your answer. I'm very curious about this because there are people who say bb has been found in all bodily fluids.

I guess if one could actually catch it that way, there would be at least something like 2 millions cases in the US per year...

I do wonder also if indirect contact with semen (from skin to mouth for instance) could lead to a possible infection, that would be another interesting topic to be discussed.

• Posted

I think the best thing would be to read up on it by serching with specific kepywords...there is so much information out there, that I have not exhausted my research yet and have been for the last 3/4 weeks spending hours and hours a day at it. I watched a doucmentary on Lymes last night called Under our Skin...very informative! And one of the doctors beleives that it should be treated the same as Syphilis, so researth that and see if this gives you some answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.