Are my brain permanently damaged by Gabapentin?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thank you for a good, and helpful forum.

It seems there is more questions than answers regarding Gabapentin.

This is not the first time I have used Gabapentin. A couple of years ago, I got a powerful reaction when my dog died, and developed restless leg syndrome. Checking the internet, Gabapentin seemed to be the best/only option. I had quit 10 years of Valium use (10 mg a day) 1 year before, and was back to square one regarding lack of sleep, anxiety, and the occasional paralyzing depression.

However, after 4 months increasing to of 3000 mg, I felt the full impact of the rapid tolerance, and decided to quit. The same way I did Valium. But the WS where worse. So, I started Valium again, and after about 1 month I was in the clear. No after effect. Wel, that was a walk in the park, I thought. Never had I been so wrong.

I continued with Valium, because it is the only anti depressant that work for me. I have tried everything else, but I get horrible sick. But if you mention Valium to most doctors, its like swearing in church. So we dicussed Gabapentin, witch in my doctors opinion, was a feasible option. And of course, it was hardly addictive at all. (?)

Now, 1 year later, Gabapentin does nothing for me, except makes me extremely fatigued. I have managed to keep it at 2100 mg a day. And I am back at Valium again. Witch by the way, I have decided to continue with the rest of my life. I am over 60.  It stabelize my mind, have low tolerance, and does not have any unwanted side effects, except for the addiction. And it gives me life saving sleep at night.

In 3 months I went down to 300 mg Gaba a day. 100 mg 3 times a day. No doctor involved. That is almost 2 months ago. It seems impossible to get rid of the last evil little claw it has in me.

Everyone seems to have a different kind of WS. Mine is a very bad fatigue, horrible iching at my extremeties, nausia and irritability. And despite the Valium, the itching keeps me awake many nights. I have however come across one thing that helps. The Indian herb remedy called Guduchi. I use the oil. (Tinospora Cordifolia) I have tried hydrocortizone and every other well meant advice, but to no avail.

I am also a single father 4 days a week. I can not let my own mistakes hurt my kid, so in the weekends, I take 100 mg Tramadol on Sundays, and get a much needed relief for 1 day. That is the day for physical games, and it had not been possible without Tramadol. I know how addicive this is, so I never use more. But at least I can be a good father to my kid.

I have read many success stories about Benzo, opiods and others, but never about Gaba. One woman wrote she had been on Gaba for 7 months, and 5 years later she was feeling good again. Good for her, but hardly a success story. This is scary. I dont have 5 years to spare. Are my brain permanently damaged because of this poison?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Nasty drug! I was on it about 13 months for Osteo pain built up to 3200 mgs a day did nothing for pain just made me sleep good!

I decided to come off them my Rheumatoligist told me to drop to 1600 a day for 5 days then 800 a day for 5 days and stop!!!

That was February 1st just now fling almost Nirmal still having some stomach issues, no appetite some days, bloating. Have more good days than bad now.

My family Dr wasn't happy she said I should of weaned down 100 mgs at a time over several months!! Lesson learned.

Good Luck!!

• Posted

I hope not....I'm asking the same question. Have been on for almost 2 mos now. Slowly weaning off.  I started at 100 mg 2x daily. sthen 100 mg once daily, now down to 50 mg once daily. Noticing word confusion, memory loss, shakiness, etc.
    • Posted

I would try staying on the 100 mgs a while longer and then trying the 50 mgs!!

My Dr wanted me on each drop for weeks at a time!

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Sandy. Was on 100 mgs for almost 1 month. Now on 50 mg. Hoping to wean off soon. side effects and withdrawal not fun.
  • Posted

I'm weaning myself off gabapentin and so far seem to be doing really well. I was on 1800mg for about 9 months, then 1500mg a day for a week, then 1200mg a day for a week and now I'm on 900mg. I will be going down to 600mg on Wednesday. I have definitely noticed I don't have the desperate need to eat all the time which is great as the main reason I'm stopping it is because of weight gain. Good luck
    • Posted

Good luck!! Been in withdrawal since Feb 1st cause I came down from 3200 way to fast
    • Posted

Thanks, I'll have to wait and see. At the moment, having never had withdrawals from anything before, I'm hoping I'll just stop and that's it. I can't begin to think what it might be like and to be honest have been looking forward to losing weight so am trying not to think about it.
    • Posted

Good luck. With my stomach issues I lost 10 lbs smile
    • Posted

Well I've put on over 2 stone so want to lose at least a stone. It doesn't help that I can't exercise at all due to my back but it is so much easier to diet on a lower dose of gabapentin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.