Are there scents or smells I should avoid?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I finally received Atrovent and a nebulizer yesterday and I may be crazy or just overly excited but I think I can tell a big difference already. Pharmacist said it was fast acting. Anyways, was going to clean house and light candles like normal and didn't know if there are certain smells I should avoid. Other than the obvious, smoke, fumes, ect. More like fragrances.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi ,my nebuliser helps me a lot ,but I try to only use when really needed ie; when my ventolin doesn't help me ,,,or when I've got a chest infection ,used wisely you will feel the benefits ,but over use is not good as if you take too much you can get palpitations etc,,,as for candles I don't have them about the house unless they are unscented ,,,and my daughter has them everywhere ,,,but not when I visit ,,,,I also find strong cleaning products like bleach etc takes my breath ,,,,so I use sugar soap mixture for day to day cleaning ,but you'll find out what you can yourself can tolerate we are all different,,,remember don't over do the nebuliser ,,,best wishes ,,,happy cleaning day , ,
    • Posted

I was told I had to use it 3 times a day. That is the only medicine I have besides the rescue inhaler. And in the past 3 months I have become where anytime I'm doing anything, even just walking up stairs I was short of breath. Only 30 and I was bent over the shopping cart the first time I went grocery shopping when this first started. I've learned plb now and that helps. So I feel I really need the nebulizer constantly. I understand your saying that for a reason though. Should I be on another medicine?
    • Posted

3 times a day sounds ok ,,,,what I was saying ,,,is ,,,,I  ( personally ) can go weeks without having to use it ,I was diagnosed back in -1992,,you say your 30 what have you been diagnosed with ,,,,,as for other medication that's something you should talk to your GP about ,,,,like I say we are all different,,,like Christine says below ,,,she's fine with candies ,,,,it's trial and error for us all I'm afraid , ,,
    • Posted

Know this message wasn't for me but I'm almost afraid to look at it, Ventolin seems to be about the only med. I can tolerate when it comes to inhalers.

• Posted

Just checked with my pharmacist here in Canada and she says that there have been no recalls on Ventolin inhalers here.  Whew.  Glad.  Apparently, it it nothing to do with the actual medication it is a problem with the propellant in the canister.  Odd, because for the last while I've had to use my inhaler more than usual and am now wondering if there could be something up with the propellant and I'm not getting the needed dosage. 
  • Posted

Hi , I burn candles every night and they don't affect me at all, but saying that we are all different. I would try and see what happens xxx
  • Posted

Hi Krissi:  As other people have said on this forum, we are all different, meds. react differently for each individual, the same goes for candles, cleaning stuff, etc.  As for how often you should be using your inhalers, etc. go by what your doctor told you to do.  Personally, I try to only use my inhaler once a day but lately have had to use it up to 3 times per day.  Stress seems to really make my breathing worse and lately I've been dealing with some very stressful situations. I try to use "green" cleaning products with no fragrance, etc. in them.  I've quit using perfume, which kind of sucks and I rarely use hair products, even hair spray I hardly ever use anymore.  If I burn candles, and I love candles, I only burn beeswax candles with no fragrance in them.  It's kind of a trial and error thing to find out what works best for you personally.  As Nanny says Bleach is a big no no, but I "cheat" once in awhile as it does do such a good job at sanitizing; I wear a mask if I am using a weak bleach solution and I don't stay in the same room, ie. if I have the bleach in a toilet, I leave the room and open a window.  Pleased to hear that you are doing so well Krissi.  x
  • Posted

Just thought of something else that I swtched out; was using Tide to wash my clothes and whatnot, nearly all of the Tide products had a very strong fragrance to them and the smell really bothered me.  It seemed to permeate the whole house and the smell stayed in my clothes and sheets and towels.  I now use and have been for quite a while a green washing detergent.  There is no fragrance in it at all and it's made a big difference.
  • Posted

Glad your medicine is working well for you krissi

I don't do perfumed candles, no aerosol air fresheners or the time release fragrance that puff into the air every so often or when  someone passes.  I don't do washing powders either or strong scented soaps. For better air quality at home I avoid these things.

I would avoid being near anyone wearing perfume the same as I would avoid any one smoking.

I go mainly for eco green washing liquids, natural soaps like, olive, dead sea salt or neem, although I can take slightly perfumed shower gels. bubble bath and I do still use sparingly and careful not to puff into the air imp leather talc.  I'm also ok with vapourising pure essential oils in water or those quality pure essential oils diluted and used in therapeutic preparations. 

I use unscented quality candles ok,  I won't buy cheap candles because some can release parafin like fumes into the air.  The non drip candles are really good.  Trim the wick if you have long burning candles as you wouldn't want smoke released into the air.

I don't wear skin perfumes now at all..

If you can still walk down the supermarket aisle where the washing powers are or if you can pass the perfume counter in a large department store without it affecting your lungs.  I'd say you are doing ok.

• Posted

Hi krissi!!!

I have found that with MY COPD, my sense of smell is more acute!!  ALWAYS, I find that I start sneezing  (up to 8 times in a row) when I walk down the soap/laundry aisle.  I try to walk quickly, grab what I need while holding my breath and carry on!  lol  I really haven't been able to define specific odors that affect me, only, like I said, all of my sense of smell is VERY acute!  COPD is certainly a mysterious disease, isn't it!!

To Nanny:   Goodness, since you were diagnosed in 1992, you have certainly taken care of yourself!  It will give those people on this forum that you CAN survive with COPD but you need to alter your lifestyle!  Thanks Nanny, and God Bless!!

• Posted

Two shops to avoid when you have COPD ,,,The body shop and Lush ,,,,

thank you I do,my best to keep well ,,,pulmary rehab is a wonderful thing ,I've done the course many times after numerous set backs ,,,,I'm in recovery at the moment ,,,,first week in December I had repeated chest infections that lead to  pneumonia,,,,,then new year ,,pleurisy,,,,,,,,now it's oral thrush due to all the antibiotics I've taken ,,,the last few days have been good ,,,so I'm hoping to do the pulmary rehab course again starting in March ,,,,,fingers etc crossed ,,,,,then I can finally enjoy my 70 th birthday surprise if a spa weekend with my daughter ,,,,,and I also entered a completion on Facebook ( I don't usually bother but I was bored hahah) and I won a Reiki treatment at a beauty salon ,,,looking forward to that ,,,,I try to go to the gym Twice a week when I'm well ,,,,and the COPD nurses tell me that's how I manage to cope with my illness ,

take care ,God Bless ,

• Posted

WOW Nanny!!!!  You DO keep busy.....and that is the best thing to do!!  Yes, I discovered that going into a body/bath shop is definitely a no-no.  The first time I walked in one after being diagnosed (I hadn't really frequented them prior), I started sneezing like crazy!!  Yes, my husband and I try to walk 2 to 3 miles a day and I KNOW I feel much better when we do.  There are situations (family, etc.) the make it impossible sometimes; however, whenever I drive to a shopping area, I try to park as far away from the entrance as possible in order to walk!!
    • Posted

Any exersise is better than nothing ,,,just do what you can when you can ,when I was first diagnosed ,,and the first 10/12 years ,hubby used to say leave the hoovering, ,windows,etc etc you on lumpy get breathless ,,,,then I was put in the care of the COPD team ,,,,who told me not to just sit there waiting to get better ,,,,,,it was all in my hands ,, so after PR course I never looked back

,,,( except when I have these set backs of chest infections etc etc etc ) 

• Posted

Yes I agree, I was diagnosed as mild COPD 2 years ago, zI have since lost 1 stone 3lb and started walking 1.5 to 2 miles as often as weathe permits. Went for check up at chest clinic 3 weekd ago and told thre was a real improvement in spirometry results. Sometimes have to use ventolin but on the whole try to do without.
    • Posted

Sounds good to me ,,,keep up the fitness and I'm sure youl continue to improve ,best wishes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.