Are there side effects from too much prednisone?

Posted , 8 users are following.

After a roller coaster ride that brought me twice up from 10 tp 20 mg I am down to 19 mg.  I have had 1 or two good days in the past week but that's it.  Today everything is an extreme effort.  No real pain but sort of a burning in my legs and extreme fatigue.  I also feel nervous and edgy.  Didn't sleep well last night like I usually do and have been stressed by my sons recent diagnosis.  When I had been down to 12 mg several months ago I felt wonderful.  

I don't fully understand.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Audrey,

Sorry to hear you are hurting. Perhaps you need to stay on 20 mgs for a while longer. Stress affects the PMR adversely.

My doctor increased the amount of Prednisone I was taking when I was under the stress of a bad respiratory infection and again when I had cataract surgery. She also told me not to reduce over the Christmas holidays as they are stressful, but to wait until they were over. This worked for me. I am down to 5.5 mg, but it has taken me 1 1/2 years from 20 mg. I have thankfully not experienced any flares.

• Posted

You seem to be having troubles, it's no wonder you're not feeling up to much.  Take heart though, I am down to 6mgs (after 3+ years), and I've never felt "wonderful ".

Last sentence - do any of us??

• Posted

Honestly, when I was on 12 mg. I felt as if I had nothing wrong with me at all.  And that's when the rheumatologist told me if I felt that good I was taking too much prednisone.  Now I am at 19 and really feel  awful today.
  • Posted

I'm currently on 20mg, having been up and down from 40 (GCA). I have days when I'm ok ish and days when I'm exhausted and just need to rest and sleep.

Apart from having the illness and taking the Preds, you have to remember that stress affects you anyway. Even if you didn't have PMR, a stressful situation will affect you emotionally and physically. So now stress is increased and you are bound to feel bad. Worrying about loved ones will make you anxious and it will affect your overall wellbeing. X

• Posted

Hi Audrey,

Sorry to hear you're feeling so lousy.  I have personally found that stress, especially involving family, has more affect on my PMR symptoms than anything else.  I recently experienced a troubling time with my brother who I am very close to and the next two days I could hardly get off the couch.  

With such concerns about your son I would find the dose that gives me the most relief and stay there until you feel things have stabilized.  I don't think there is anything more stressful than our children suffering from whatever cause it may be.  

Take care of yourself and don't worry, you'll get back to 12mg and feel great again. Remember, patience is the most important lesson we have to learn.

Hugs, Diana🌸

• Posted

Hi Audrey. I have found that since being on pred, I cannot cope with any stress without collapsing in an emotional heap! (Pre-pred I was always quite strong and the person people came to, to sort out their problems). I have got to the stage where I am on medication (Duloxetine) to help. I think it is partly the pred and partly feeling about as much use to everyone as a chocolate teapot! I feel like I should wear a sandwich board saying, please don't stress me out. I can't take any more! I would shut yourself away today and lose yourself in a good book or some music. If possible take some time just for you. Hope you feel better soon and whatever your son has got, I hope he will get well. Sending you lots of positive thoughts, Debbie
    • Posted

Thanks Debbie and Diana,

Today is my Bowen and I'm looking forward to it.  Perhaps if nothing else it will help me to relax.

i received a bit of better news last night concerning my son regarding the worst of his problems an enlarged lymph node behind his aorta.  The other one which they suspect is sarcoidosis 

and is affecting his breathing after three bouts with pneumonia in three years is being watched closely for the time being.  

The contractor I am working with on upgrading a rental has promised to complete everything today so the tenant can move in.  I know he won't because he has been telling me that for a week.  There is also a communication problem because he speaks little English. He started my kitchen a month ago and it's still upside down and the fridge is on a tilt.

also, I have a cruise coming up on August 9th and if I feel like this I can't go and I don't even think I want to.  I have two days to get half our money back so I will decide today.

So, there you have it and it felt good to get it all out..  Thanks for being here!

Audrey

Audrey

• Posted

Hi Audrey,

That all sounds very stressful😕.  With the good (at least better) news about your son, if I were you, I would go on the cruise. Having said that, I am very fortunate that when I go away on vacation I can leave my troubles behind.  If you are able to do that,  the relaxing time you will enjoy while away may well get you back on track. 

What ever you do I hope you're feeling better soon.

Hugs, Diana🌸

• Posted

Hi 

I ordered some cruise clothes on line and they came today. Nothing in gaberdine 😃😃.

I'll wait and see if I can go. I bought cruise insurance so I'll see what happens.  I also want to make sure my son is ok because my other son is also going on cruise and my sick son and his wife will be home with no

family support.  We are a small family.  My husband has no relatives but we have our sons who live within a mile and we are extremely close.  

My daughter in law made dinner for us and will be delivering at 6:00.

• Posted

I hope your son is OK. So lucky to have them close by. I have 3 children and 2 of them, and their families live 6 hrs. away from us in different directions. The one that lives close by hardly ever calls😟.

Sending best wishes to you and your son💕

• Posted

Many of the side-effects are because the body is experiencing "too much" corticosteroid - so logically when there is more of it the effects will be worse. But what you describe could equally well be from the other stresses.

I do hope your rheumy doesn't work on the assumption that if you feel good you should reduce until you don't feel good...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.