Are these esophagitis or reflux symptoms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, 

My reflux story is very long, almost a year now and had an endoscopy in May(?) and was diagnosed with esophagitis then.

At that time, I was doing reallllyyy bad and was not eating well and constantly nauseous, but now I'm doing a lot better with just discomfort during digestion everytime I eat and nausea around the same times.

These days though, when I feel nauseous, my stomach doesn't feel uncomfortable but rather my chest. It's a different kind of nausea from what I felt the past few months of my life because normally my nausea would keep me feeling so nauseous I didn't want to move but now I just feel nauseous from my chest up and feel okay moving around.

Now that my chest is uncomfortable (feels like I need to burp and I just feel "thick" around my chest/pressure like something is pressing against it) is it that the acid is coming up to my chest and is why I'm nauseous, or is it my esophagitis- maybe the inflammation of it but I guess I'm asking if it's possible that it's just my esophagus in general and not acid coming back up since my stomach isn't uncomfortable?

In terms of medication: I'm currently taking Mylantal at nights and DGL chewables 2x a day. I'm also trying to buy Manuka Honey asap and also try Zinc-Carnosine!

Thanks in advance for any answers!!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi your story is similar to mine. I've been dealing with Acid reflux for 6 months now. Got diagnosed in September . I have esophagalitis as well. I'm nauseous alllll the time and can barely eat. I'm miserable and don't know what to do ! Constant indigestion and feel like I'm going to throw up but I take zofran to prevent me from doing so. What is the brand of dgl chewables that u use?? I don't feel well moving around or anything. I want my life back! Any tips ???

• Posted

Hi!

The DGL brand I use is Enzymatic Therapy.

I actually know exactly what you're going through because the first few months I had GERD, I was nauseous 24/7 and ate very little. My tips for you would be to not take prescribed medication (though they work and give you freedom from pain, it is worse in the long run), but instead try natural ways to fix your stomach. Some things I tried were probiotic supplements, ginger tea, and manuka honey. I sometimes take Zantac or Mylanta when it gets really bad or if my symptoms seem to change, but I don't take it for any longer than the suggested maximum time. 

• Posted

Esophagitis is literally inflammation of the esophagus...which is a symptom. Something has to cause the symptom. Most esophageal inflammation is caused by stomach acid.

If you placed your finger into the hydrocholoric acid in the stomach, the finger would burn.

So how is the acid getting into contact with the esophagus...you may have a hiatal hernia at rhe point where the esophagus meets the stomach. This hernia prevents the sphincter from closing completely. This is refered to as GERD, gastro esophageal reflux disease. Most GERD occurs at night when we lay down to sleep. The simplest solution to try is to elevate the head of your bed 5-6 inches. Gravity can then keep the acids in the stomach.

It is also possible for the gases released during digestion to rise up the esophagus and literally burn the esophagus which reacts with inflammation.

In extreme cases, the hiatal hernia can be addressed surgically.

The symptoms you give are classic.Perhaps you will avoid bending over because bending over can force acid into the esophagus...never eat nearer than two hours before bedtime...avoid foods that cause the stomach to release more acid to complete digestion...avoid spicy hot...avoid thermal hot are just some of the basics.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your comment!

I wasn't diagnosed with a hernia when I had my endoscopy, so I think I can rule that one out.

Can you explain what you mean by the gases released during digestion?

I personally feel like that's what happens to me because when I burp or feel my digestion happening, I feel bubbles or extra air in my esophagus when I used to not before!

• Posted

our stomach has hydrochloric acid in it....it is the HCl that digests the food we ingest. As things are reduced to chemicals, gas left over from the process will be released. We either burp or pass wind.

By digesting whatever we ingest, our bodies use the calcium, the proteins, the lipids, the salts...your stomach is a biochemixal lab of sorts.

• Posted

Thank you ! I have just started up with my probiotics, digestive enzymes, mastic gum and I drink ginger tea. Hoping I will get some relief! I'm going to purchase the DGL chewables. I started omprezole and only took it for A week it made my indigestion and symptoms worse I believe because of the lack of stomach acid.

• Posted

Has anyone here lost their appetite? I was diagnosed with GERD 2 days ago showing "classic signs"...they're apparently not red flags but I think the most recent one - losing my appetite a week ago - is a red flag!

I took antibiotics 3 months ago when this all kicked off. I was violently sick as I had taken them on an empty stomach as instructed, but was also living my normal life then - eating curry, drinking coffee. When I was sick it felt like something rushed up my throat but I wasn't nauseous. Since then I've had nausea, gagging (which turned out to be thrush), reflux, a dry cough, feeling full easily, a pressure between my throat and stomach, and in the past week even when I get hungry I feel full. I thought the other symptoms were bad but I feel like this one is the most sinister. I just don't want to eat!

The GP said he thinks it's either an ulcer or h pylori. Blood tests are all clearnd healthy. But I feel the worst I have in my 30 years of life. I'm convinced I'm imminently dying to be honest. I was rational about things till I started feeling my stomach burns and full easily, now I'm a wreck. Not sleeping and can't eat, it's not my life at all, it's a living nightmare.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm a 22 yr. old girl who got GERD after getting food posioning in December last year and have experienced all the symptoms you've listed and more! Interesting that you find your hungry/fullness the worst symptom because mine is nausea... I've been nauseous for the whole year I've had GERD now and it frustrates me more than anything else in the world because I'm terrified of throwing up.

Before I got an endsocopy, I was tested for H. Pylori so I'm surprised you haven't crossed that off before your confirmation of GERD. Either way, your symptoms seem like classic GERD symptoms! 

• Posted

Hey Rachel,

They're testing for h pylori just now. This has been the worst week though because I have developed insomnia, and am so worried about my appetite. My breathing has been funny as well but I don't know if that's because I'm not sleeping. I feel like my body is shutting down. I might check myself into a and E. I'm so tired and scared and I know I'm not doing my stomach any favours by worrying but it's like my eating, sleeping and breathing have started to go. I want an anti anxiety meds from the doctor to tide me over while I see if these PPI pills work.

• Posted

Hope you've been doing better.

I completely understand because that's how I used to feel as well.

If your breathing is funny, it might be because of acid reflux. I had problems with breathing as well!

• Posted

Hey Rachel,

I'm OK, starting to feel a bit weak from lack of sleep and eating smaller portions! I think I'm very nervous and consequently am making it worse. I had improved a few weeks ago and then got a bout of nausea with it that freaked me out, and since then lost my appetite. Though it's weird - I'm hungry, I can feel it but I get full easily at the moment. Do you ever get that?

Scared of omeprazole not working and having to go for tests. Just terrified tbh, want a reason for why this started! It feels like you're living in a nightmare. I don't know if I'm off food because it's been so unpleasant, or stressed. This is scaring me a lot.

How do you manage the GERD? My breathing is a bit better this week but I think it's because I'm not having as severe insomnia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.