Are these IBS-C symptons?

Posted , 6 users are following.

For 3 years now I have had the following symptons that have only gotten worse over time;

Terrible stomach cramping from morning to night without a break and worse straight after eating a meal

Bloating which grows during the day 

X-Ray showed sever constipation recently but had pain before this so isn't the reason for the pain

I have a BM twice or three times a week

Had every check possible with the NHS to no avail and I am at the end of my tether, someone please offer some advice what to do

No codine or pain killer works

Buscopan doesn't work for the camping as it is so severe

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ask your doctor about IBS, ask about the Fodmap diet and try a different antispasmodic.  You may need to try several. If all your tests are negative, IBS can be diagnosed.  Perhaps see a different doctor for another opinion. I started with constipation, stomach pain, back pain, nausea and loose stools.  I saw several doctors before I was diagnosed with IBS.  It took three and a half months.  After diagnosis my pain and bowel habits got better as my health anxiety disappeared.  Anxiety will make your symptoms worse.
    • Posted

I have seen so many doctors over 3 years without a diagnosis, I'm thinking of going on fodmap programme and probiotics

I just have constipation and no diorrea, but checking other forums it is possible to have IBS-C with chronic constipation

The pain gets worse after a BM

• Posted

If you have IBS C, constipation will be your main symptom.  However, other symptoms will also be present such as stomach pain and maybe nausea with back pain.  Typically, pain improves after a bowel movement, but everyone is different. Sometimes people get bouts of loose stools/diarrhoea along with constipation, others get diarrhoea only.  I had constipation first and then I had loose stools and then back to constipation.

If you are getting pain after eating, a particular food maybe irritating you.   Fodmap is worth a try to see if you can identify the food trigger.  Probiotics may also help but they will need to be taken for at least a month.

• Posted

Have you ever tried changing what foods you eat. For example, going without dairy for a week or so and seeing if that helps. Also if it gets worse after eating certain food cut down on it and see if that works
    • Posted

I'm trying the fodmap diet from today and also probiotics to get some good stuff into my gut is this a good start

• Posted

Well sometimes it can be certain things like gluten, wheat or dairy that can cause this servere pain as it can not be digested as quickly which can cause you stomach muscles to spasm and cause your pain.
  • Posted

Codeine will make you constipated. Try just paracetamol on it's own.

• Posted

When I tried Paracetemol for my IBS when it was in full flare up, it really didn't do much for the pain. I don't find it strong enough for substantial cramps.  Nurofen was much better.  

• Posted

I was told not to take nurofen. Are you on mesalazine? It's an anti inflammatory for the colon.

• Posted

I take Buscopan which is very mild so it can be bought over the counter.  Prescription medecines often irritate my stomach.
    • Posted

What other pain medications have you tried other than Buscopan and codeine?
  • Posted

Hi John, I can fully understand your problems because I am expiriencing the same and its taken over my life! I can offer advice as I am in similar position to you, all I can do is sympathise, and if anyone else can offer any help Id ber keen to listen.

Cheers, Richard. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.