Arthritic lump on middle finger

Posted , 4 users are following.

I ahve developed a nodule on my middle finger.  Can i have it removed by surgery or is therte any treatment that will reduce the size of module ?..

Therte is little or no pain from the module but it doesn't look good

Douglas . 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Is it a nodule or a ganglion? The old ganglion cure was to whack them with the Family Bible.
    • Posted

Derek76

Thank you for your advice - i don't know whether it is a ganglion but i do have a few bibles at home as i am an avid reader and a committed christian and follower of Jesus..  So maybe i can try a whack with one of my bibles . Nothing to lose and evertything to gain as i could see the lump dissappear  Thanks again

Douglas 22825 ,  

• Posted

I'd wait for a diagnosis before invoking Gods help. Have you seen the size of the old Family Bibles?
  • Posted

Are you referring to a lump on the bone joint?

I have this its one of the features of the condition. My surgeon just ignors it . I had a quite good one on the side of the finger, but lost it when he replaced my finger joint.

• Posted

YesI  am referring to a lump on the bone joint on the middle finger so it is very noticeable on the back of my hand particularly when i put my hand down flat on a table., You say your surgeon ignors it, My desire would be to have it rempoved. and so i ask can this be done through surgery

Douglas 22825    

• Posted

Why do you want it removed, if its not causing any problem I would leave it alone. Here in the UK having it removed is considered cosmetic unless its causing a problem which is why my surgeon ignores it. Hence it can't be removed under the NHS but can be done privately.
  • Posted

It all depends what the lump is - and you need to establish that first. I have a Heberden's node on my distal index finger joint - that's a lump. My husband developed Duyptren,s contracture - and it was preceded by a lump at the end of the finger - also a lump but a totally different reason. His GP originally said it was a ganglion and nothing to do, the op for the Duyptren's would have been simpleer and probably more successful had it been done sooner.

Time to ask an orthopod - preferably one who does hands...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.