Arthritis Aids/ Devices

Posted , 5 users are following.

Arthritis Aids/ Devices

Hello, 

I am a high school pupil from Aberdeenshire. I am hoping to design a range or Arthritis Aids for within the kitchen to assist Individuals that have arthritis. My mum is 45 and has been diagnosed with osteoarthritis arthritis and fibromyalgia and i have witnessed how much pain she has been in so i have decided to focus my Advanced Higher Folio project around Arthritis and the aim to reduce pain and ensure daily tasks can be pursued more easily.

I was wondering if I could receive some feedback and comments as to what devices would be helpful that maybe aren’t out there already or just general comments as to what your experience of arthritis is. 

Anything would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Chloe

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Best ones i have are in Boots... they help you open things lie bottles and comprise 3 rubber bits yellow, red, blue. One is flat for gripping things and the other two are kind of come shapes.  I can open anything using these and they are very much better than e.g. Oxo grip thing which is meant for opening jars - in my experience the rubber things are better.  I also have a small bottle opener which is from Lakeland and fits e.g. small water bottles. 

However, the best thing for your mum is a) be determined to get well b) change diet compeltely to fruit, nuts, seeds, veg and fish asap and 3 brazil nuts a day - this will dramtaically lower inflammation.  Tons of fruit and berries for brekkie is way to go.  Get down to lower levels of bmi; take up swimming. Will transform your pain and joints. Get a softer mattress helps too or a padded topper. 

The rubber things in Boots are about £12 i think and in medicine area and are simply brilliant though. 

I couldnt really walk properly or anything 6 months ago but with above fell 15years younger and can do anything and everything again.  When it hurts i rub on voltarol at night. But i honestly think my complete and total lifestyle change and diet transformed the results.

• Posted

Hi Chloe

I have OA in my hands mostly and found using a knife and fork very difficult so went on line and found some rubber handled ones, what a difference, however I run a B & B and so have to do a lot of writing (booking forms etc and writing down what people want for breakfast) this is the worse time for me as my middle right finger will not bend so find it very difficut to write - I have rubber tube pieces on some of the pens which helps a little - but to have a thick pen that is not expensive would be great - like the rubber handled cutlery - Homecraft Suregrip Bendable Cutlery Set £23.94 from amazon - just thought of something else - my car steering wheel is quite thin and i have difficulty in holding it securely sometimes. I am 53 and have had OA for over ten years, but they have only agreed it is OA now, kept fobbing me off with the words "wear and tear" !!! Good luck and if I think of anything else I will get back to you.

• Posted

Hello Julie,

just reading your reply to chloe0311,  you mention the steering wheel on your car, there is a knob available - called a 'suicide' knob!  - don't know why but they are very popular with drivers who have bad hands. It is just like a door knob, mushroom shaped and clips round the wheel, cost approx £9.99 from a disability shop / mobility shop or Halfords.    Also popular with wagon drivers who maybe have a large tummy !  lol.    Could be worth a look for yourself, anything that makes life a little easier  ner mind what name be given to it.....  

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi Chloe! How nice to welcome someone to a forum who isn't suffering with the appropriate illness!

This isn't my usual forum - I have a vasculitis/rheumatism called polymyalgia rheumatica, which also has a forum on here, but it also makes doing things difficult. I can't give you direct links here because they have to be approved but if you follow this link

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

you will find a list of websites - including the PMR-GCA one for Scotland. If you contact them they may be able to put you in contact with people close enough for you to interview, either face to face or by phone/Skype so you can ask questions easily. There is a big group in Dundee which is maybe a bit far (unless you are in Stonehaven I suppose) but I'm sure there are others. 

There are other forums listed there - put your plea up on them too and I'm sure you will get responses there as well.

I'm thinking about it - I'm fairly well now so don't have problems really and I can't remember what it used to be like! All I can say is it would be SOOOOO nice if we could find things that are easy to hold! For us it is muscles that hurt when we do things - but we can't grip easily either. 

Good luck - my granddaughter is just starting Highers and I can still remember the joys of my girls doing Highers! I live in Italy now or I'd come and give you an interview!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.