arthritis and hip bursitis help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have wear and tear arthritis in most joints but at the moment my hips are the biggest problem.  Going on for 2 years ago, I developed bursitis in one hip and although have had 2 cortisone injections to ease the pain, it comes back with a vengence. I have trouble sleeping and pain all the time (resting and walking) and whilst I appreciate that I am not as advanced as some and can still get around, it is still affecting my every day life. My doctor says that it's one of those things and I need to get used to it as will 'have it for a long time yet' (being only in my early 50's) I take the maximum dose of nefopam each day as this was the only paid killer that had any effect on the arthritis. My doctor won't do any more injections and suggests rest which hurts and isn't always practical when you work and have a family to look after. I take suppliments each day - glucosamine, cod liver oil and a multi vitamin for women of my age group. Can anyone suggest anything else I can do. I am in the UK (Berkshire)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sally

This wont be any help but just to say I'll be watching the replies with interest.

I've had OsteoArthritis for a few years now but 2 years ago I had my 2nd hip replacement and was doing an NHS exercise post op. and fractured my greater trochanter bone,

I've been on crutches since that and will be permanently

I've been told I've also gotbursitis in my hip

I dont want to scare you about having a hip replacement when the time comes.......it wasnt that....they discovered afterwards that it was because I had osteoporosis that the fracture happened...not the hip replacement.

I've had a few injections the first one worked well {about 5 months} te second one not so good and the otheres not at all.....so the consultant wont give me any more...like your doctor.

What is nefopam? I havent heard of that one.

My GP has me on morphine now.......started onb5 mg {lowest dose} twice a day, now he has changed it to 10mg x 2 a day......it is helping but I still have quite a lot of pain. I'm in the North East of England.

Looking forward to hearing other peoples answers

Love

Eileen  {UK}

• Posted

Nefopam is a pain killer used for arthritis. My GP said it was not widely prescribed because it is a more expensive drug. I have no side effects with this unlike with so many other drugs.
  • Posted

Sally I have osteoarthritis in my lower back, also sciatica affecting my bladder, but they think it's caused by the saccrolite joint sorry about spelling. Over the last 2 months have had a problem with left shoulder arm wrist and hand joints in both. I have had blood test which has raised inflammation so waiting for x Ray on hands and having another blood test 14th Jan. I have just started taking naproxen it has helped a little but not sure if they will try something else later. Been on trauma doll and codeine and paracetamol never touched the pain....
  • Posted

I have Osteoarthritis in my knees and lower back. I have had my knee replaced twice and i am going to try steriod injections for my other knee soon. I take Gaberpentin,  Nefopam, and Codeine to help me sleep at night. Other than pacing ourselves and gentle exercise of which i do stretching for my spine there doesn't seem like much else we can do. Its a debilitating disease with no cure.
    • Posted

Hi

I know there is no cure for the arthritis. I'm a vbolunteer for our Arthritis Care branch and advice people about pacing etc...not so good at doing it myself neutral  Its the fracture of the trocanter bone that causes me the pain.........the rest I can self manage but this and the bursitis I find it hard to manage especially when I waken up first thing in agony]

Love

Eileen  UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.