arthroscopic capsular release surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

Due to have this surgery Nov 16. Frozen shoulder for 8 months. Excruciating pain stopped nearly 3 months ago, but still hardly any movement. Physio unsuccessful. Never pleasant to have surgery -am tempted to wait this out. There are pros and cons to surgery as ever. surgeon dying to get his knife on it - (had same procedure on other shoulder for different problem 5 years ago and very successful). However, that problem would never have resolved without surgery and this will. Really can't decide what to do...,!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah! I'm sitting in your exact same boat except I'm only at 51/2 month my pain dropped about a month ago but it still hurts! My surgery is set for November 30th! I am meeting with another shoulder dr on the 10th and the 14th to get 2 more opinions then I will decide 2 weeks before surgery to do it or not! Such a hard decision but I think if either of the other dr says I should do it I will go for it! My new MRI shows something off from my original surgery on June 1st for a labrum tear so I'm afraid that the mua part with rip that again if it already shows weekness on MRI! I hope things go well for you! I will post to this feed after I see the other 2 surgeons although thAt will be just days before you go in!

• Posted

I had the surgery and the only difference is recovery is a bit faster also it was all paid for by work cover and I needed to get back to work, if I had a job where I didn't need full motion I would have waited it out

• Posted

Ah interesting- I can wait it out for work but wanted to volunteer in Europe next May - need two arms really - it could be a whole load better by then . why would you have waited it out? Thanks
    • Posted

Just because it's major surgery and it might only be the difference of 6 months if I had left it and I wouldn't have been able to afford it, especially having 4 months off work all up

• Posted

Hi Sarah. I had ACR about 6 weeks ago. I was pretty much pain free before the op but with poor range of movement. I also debated whether to go through with the surgery but opted to in the end. Have had some measure of pain ever since the op, but it is reducing slowly. Worst at night, still need pain killers to get to sleep. ROM is definitely improving with PT and exercises.

I am not sure even now whether I would go for surgery rather than wait it out. I think on balance the surgery route is better but of course I don't know what it would have been like without it.

• Posted

Hi there

I''ve cancelled my op and have decided to wait it out. I can function without full range of movements and so on balance I'm happier avoiding a general anaesthetic. I know I'm months away from recovery but, never mind - my shoulder will recover on its own eventually. Thanks all for your comments - good to know I'm not on my own!

• Posted

I'm not exactly sure what that is. It I did manipulation under anesthesia which I think is similar and as far as I'm concerned there was no downside to that and it really helped me. That procedure involves no cutting and you are under anesthesia for only 15 minutes.

• Posted

Arthroscopic Capsular Release is a procedure using keyhole surgery techniques whereby the surgeon cuts away the adhesions inside the joint capsule. It is a very quick procedure usually done under GA, although mine was just done with a nerve block. You just get left with two tiny scars and a much better ROM! I think ACR is similar to MUA, though a little more controlled. Both techniques are used on the NHS, and there is a trial running to determine the best type of FS treatment (see my other thread ).
    • Posted

Hi Jull it's different to MUA, they go in and scrape away the build up of scar tissue and adhesions, most people have a 1mm thickness around their capsule, mine was 6mm, MUA is moving your arm to full range of motion, while having the ACR the surgeon will usually do an MUA at the same time

• Posted

Hi Jull, I had my capsular release and mua and wanted to check how you were? I'm only a week out of surgery but I think I remember that you used the dynasplint to help can you refresh me on your recovery process?

• Posted

Hi. I am about to have this exact surgery that you had.: arthroscopic manipulation. Could yo tell me when I would probably be able to drive lightly and function, if everything goes well? how long was it for you?

• Posted

Hi. I had Arthroscopic Capsular Release, which is perhaps not quite the same as arthroscopic manipulation.

I had the operation several years ago now, and memories are a bit sketchy. However, I think I was driving short distances within a couple of weeks. I had about 4 weeks of physiotherapy (weekly manipulation sessions in a clinic and daily home exercises) and full range of movement gradually came back.

Hope this is of some help.

• Posted

hi maryam2

good luck in the operation like richard i had ACR. i was driving to physio 5 days later

remember to keep the joint moving to stop the re scaring back to how it was. keep positive as its still a struggle even after the operation

my last post i said i beat it after 34 months and was to be signed off. was back at colchester general yesterday having another hydrodilatation. comes back and kicked me in the bum.

you have to stay positive post operation and work your cotton socks off doing all the stretches that you are given.

please do not slide backwards. i invested in a passive motion chair and used it 6 hours a day. cost about £80 per week and you can monitor to the degree your progress by punching up and down the motors

good luck and keep working it

colin

• Posted

also keep a video diary best asset you can have . record yourself post op when in pain and struggling. and see yourself progress week on week.

so when you have a bad week look back and see how far you have come. best mental asset i did. i also recorded physio sessions bi weekly and reviewed them. as all i could feel was pain and no progress.

when i watch back the recording i was shocked how far i could move. all be it in pain.

c

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.