AS at 60?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with AS at age 60. I am female with both AS and cervical and lumber spondylosis.

I am at the moment experiencing a lot of pain around my lower back which I also feel at the same level around my front hip. My question is; does anyone feel like there discs are really prominent when sitting back. I feel like they are going to pop out at any moment, or could it be something else.

All around my back from waist level, is numb. I also have the same thing going on with my neck

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lesley.  Sorry to hear your pain.  I am 53 a recently diagonosed with SpA.  I have the numbness and lower back pain, spreading to my neck and shoulders.  NSAIDS dont work!  Have you been offered any Medications?  eg Sulfazalazine or Etanercept?  I am seeking more info before i resort to strong medication.  I am unable to work. Bye for now
  • Posted

Hi Leslie,

I am male, 62 and was diagnosed with AS at age 48. My entire spine, neck, and ribs are ankylosed.I have Kyphosis and Lordosis spine curvatures. Nerve pain is from my R. hip to my toes, with some parts of my leg and foot not numb, but very painful.I have often felt like one or more discs or vertabrae was protruding.I have had tremendous pain for years, and it will shift to different areas of my body. So, other and different discs may feel this way at times.What to do about it all? I go weekly to a Chiropractor. His technique is NOT cracking or popping any bones. It is non force directional technique.I also have massages, Hot Epsom salts baths, and ice packs.I have developed  a high level of pain tolerance, but at times I still hurt so bad I need medicine. I have Cliniril anti- inflammatory medicine from the Dr. I also use Ibuprofen, Aleve, but only in lowest amounts to help for a very short period of time. 30 or 40 mins. after any anti inflammatories, I take ant acid tablets. I always take with food, and full glass of water. This has been my routine for many years now, and it helps, but of course not 100%. 

Hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

Diagnosed at 60 ! strange.. however symptomps might be poping years before if I'm not wrong. I am 29 and not been observing such painful pain. However you are doing well against it. Good luck..
  • Posted

I had symtoms of back problems very early in my life.During Christmas break in 1972, my Senior year in high school, I was in hospital to try and find out why.At that time the Dr. said it was Spondololisthesis, (sp)? Have had problems with spine since, to where at age 48, it was accidently discovered by xray that I had ankylosing spondelitis. I was already fully ankylosed, and didnt know it. I just knew for many years

my back hurt like Hell.My spine looks like a stalk of bamboo. That is the old nickname for this type spine.Some people have mild symptoms, some worse, and a rare few have entire enclosed spine.

Anti inflammatories as everyone knows can cause stomach issues, kidney issues, heart problems, etc. Once a person has damage in these organs, you can no longer take any type nsaids at all, over the counter, or prescribed. Plus, you have the new health problem, that is why I have just done my best to get by w/o pills.

Remember, it is very rare to have my type spine from this disease, so yall are getting the worst case scenario. I pray that everyone who is fighting this problem, never gets to my position.

I am new here, and while I hate that people are suffering with AS, I feel an instant bond with everyone.

• Posted

Hi!  I am 53, recently diagnosed SpA(As).  It is very individual.  I feel so lucky that my symptoms only appear (or have been triggered) until now. I think diet and healty lifestyle (sleep,no stress, low toxins etc) play a HUGE part.  BUT I am yet to be living proof.  If I find anything that works and stops this terrible back pain (no ankylosing yet) I will share.  

I agree the 'standard of care' medicine is not always the right answer though I can understand why people need pain releif and are afraid for the future.  Each of us has own road.   

May I ask is there anything that you have find makes the pain less?   Diet, exercise, stress relief, temporary medicines,other stories?

I am unable to work, and cannot sit, sleep is troubled and am always exhausted.  I can see how life starts to be shaped around the disease.

Good luck one n all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.