Aspirin

Posted , 9 users are following.

I wonder if anyone can help me with this.  I was diagnosed in March with GCA and last week I reduced to 12.5mg Prednisolone.  I was also put on  75mg Aspirin daily when first diagnosed and I'm still taking it.  Do you have to stay on 75mg Aspirin daily during the whole time you are on Prednisolone or can you come off the Aspirin? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Fandango, I can't speak from experience with aspirin as it was never prescribed for me alongside my 40mg steroid starting dose.  However, low-dose aspirin is recommended in the Guidelines for the Management of GCA, providing no contraindications exist, as it has been shown to decrease the rate of visual loss and cerebrovascular events compared with patients not on aspirin.  I know other GCA patients who have taken/are taking aspirin alongside the steroids, and they continue with it throughout their time on Prednisolone.  Maybe someone else either on aspirin or who has taken it will join in with their experience.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.   I was worrried about the aspirin affecting my stomach but I think it was the Omeprazole I was on which gave me many side effects.
    • Posted

Have you tried another drug for acid-reduction? Like ranitidine (Zantac) - does the same job almost as well (really VERY little difference) older and fewer/different side effects. Just the PPI marketing was slicker...
    • Posted

I had bad side effects ( diarrhoea ) on most of the 'azoles'. 

Replaced with Ranitidine and no problems at all.

• Posted

On another forum I remember learning that low dose aspirin was prescribed for GCA, rather like it often is if people may be at risk of heart attack.  It makes sense in a way as we know that GCA is an emergency as serious as stroke or heart attack.  So only your doctor will know whether you should or could stop taking the aspirin.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I thought I may be able to come off the Aspirin  but I have to stay on it. 
  • Posted

Yes, I've been on a low dose of aspirin for years - I can't remember how many.  I have both PMR and GCA, and Fibro just for fun.

My main symptom for the GCA was scalp and cranial pain and it was thought wise to put me on aspirin even though I have gastric issues.  I take the dispersable aspirin in a drop of milk and while eating.  I  have never had any problems with it.

• Posted

I think the aspirin is to be continued indefinitely - it is to reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems in the longer term. It is the same as the principle of putting heart attack patients on low dose aspirin.

Are they sure about a diagnosis of GCA? That sounds more like a PMR dose to have arrived at after just 4 months, GCA is usually managed with above at least 20mg for 6 months, starting usually with 40mg. Who made the diagnosis? I assume on the basis of symptoms?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  The rheumatologist made the diagnosis.  I was on 60mg to start with but landed in A&E with bad side effects and the dose was lowered to 40mg.  I see the Rheumatologist regularly and he has been monitoring my progress.  I  was on Omeprazole to "protect my stomach" and now off it as I had awful side effects.  Most of them cleared up within 2 weeks but I'm left with stomach ache. I know aspirin is hard on the somach so was hoping I could come off it.  I have to have an Endoscopy tomorrow and so scared about that. 

• Posted

Do you make sure to take the aspirin with food?  Also, does the small dose come in a coated or buffered version?  It's certainly  a much smaller dose than one would need for a headache, for example, so hopefully your stomach will be able to continue healing.  Just a thought - would your doctor allow you to stop taking the aspirin for a few days, perhaps as little as two or three, to see if that is all you need for the stomach to be back to normal?  I know the gut, generally, is one of, if not the, fastest renewing parts of the body.  Many years ago I had a couple of bouts of what the doctor called gastritis.  I had to give up tea!  But within a couple or three days things would be back to normal.  ?

• Posted

You can get enteric coated low dose aspirin - that takes it to further down the gut before it is absorbed. You can also use ranitidine/Zantac instead of omeprazole (same effect, older and fewer/different side effects.) As Anhaga says, taking the tablet in the middle of a proper meal helps too - it isn't time sensitive so in the middle of dinner is ideal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.