Assessment of sea buckthorn oil

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was on here four months ago, having just started myself on sea buckthorn oil, and I think a few others may have expressed an interest too.

I originally started taking it for dry eyes, and it certainly seems to have solved that problem. There's also been a marked improvement in my tendinitis since I started it. I've only been taking it at the recommended dose, of course.

However, in the last few weeks I've started having diarrhoea every morning, with increasing severity. This morning it was... well, excuse the details but practically fluorescent orange! Feeling this had beta-carotene written all over it, I did something I should have done months ago - took a sea buckthorn oil capsule and stabbed it in a white bowl. The oil that came out was absolutely bright red - so that's one thing explained! Hearing it can be used topically too, I dipped a finger-tip in it and rubbed it on the back of my hand. It was so oily, I think I could have covered my entire arm in that one finger-tipful and my hand went bright orange! It took me several minutes to scrub off the colour.

So... the verdict. I'd take it again for joint or tendon pain or dry eyes, but only for a maximum of three months, and I'm going to give it at least a six-month rest now. Apart from anything else, this oil contains a lot of natural vitamin A, which can be dangerous in overdose. Also, as stated in my original post, I've been a bit concerned all along about the high levels of omega 7 in it. Although I don't doubt it's wonderful stuff, it's not a nutrient that occurs at anything like the same level in anything else we eat in our normal diet, so our bodies might not have the wherewithal to metabolise it long-term.

If anyone is interested in trying it, I'd say go for it but for a maximum of three months at a time.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing Lily -- I think that's very useful information smile
  • Posted

Thank you for the update. I was considering taking it, but won't now as I am taking a multivitamin with vitamin A in it and I don't want to take too much. So I'm really glad you posted this.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, I think it would be OK to take it in your case, but only at a half-dose. It's normally sold in a format where the daily dose is contained in two capsules, so you could take just one. If I feel I need to take another three-month course after "resting" from this one, that's probably the dose I'll take.

All this on the assumption you're not eating a lot of liver as well - I mean animal offal, not fish liver oil. There've been stories in the medical press of people ODing on vitamin A just by eating liver twice a week!

• Posted

Hi Lily, well I've been on the sea buckthorn oil for over 3 months now and I take it at 2000mg a day, as suggested by Dr. Oz.

I have not detected any change at all whatsoever in my condition. Not in dryness levels and not in joint pain.

I'm close to giving up on the stuff.

• Posted

Hi Shira, along with changing my diet, I have worked on managing my stress levels (as much as possible), exercising, reducing the amounts of chemicals and toxins, getting enough sleep, mediating (even if it's just 5 minutes a day). Along with all this, I have been seeing a naturopath, who among many other things, has helped me monitor my health through blood tests. There are many details, but the main thing I wanted to point out today is that she has been helping me to keep my hormones balanced. I mentioned this, because I wondered if you have had this checked already? I have noticed that I sometimes have a resurgence of my symptoms when my hormones get wacky. Just a thought in case it might help. She is also checking the metals in my body. Last summer I also finished a treatment to make sure I didn't have any parasites.
    • Posted

Hi Morelia, so how are you feeling now with these treatments?

Which symptoms do you feel are now under control?

Yes, I've had my hormones checked and the Estradiol (=estrogen) levels are sky high! My rheumy said that has "nothing to so with Sjogren's" as in SS these levels are usually low, but I think otherwise.

I've ordered a supplement called DIM which supposeldly brings down estrogen levels, so we'll see.

(I also had an Infectious Disease doctor check me for parasites and toxins, and all clear in those areas.) 

• Posted

Hi Shira, I think you probably should give it a rest if you've been taking it for over three months. I've taken the alarming diarrhoea of the past few weeks as a wake-up call and stopped taking it as of yesterday, even though it did seem to be helping me. (No morning diarrhoea today for the first time in 18 days, so fingers crossed!)

From now on, I'll probably put myself on a yearly three-month course starting around November, to build up protection against dry eyes in the cold months, when they're always worse, then give myself nine months off.

Hope your hormone-reducing supplement helps.

• Posted

Hi Lily, so surprising to hear the sea buckthorn had those effects on you...I don't experience anything that comes close for better or worse...I suppose you'll know for sure if it was causing the diarrhea now that you've stopped it.
    • Posted

Hi Shira,

My doctor is helping me add progesterone (male hormones) because I have much more estrogen which creates an imbalance. My symptoms when my estrogen levels are high are bloating, swelling or heaviness of the breasts, often accompanied by a resurgence of dry eyes and dry mouth. I cannot say that I am 100% certain that it is a cause or association, because I've conducted no scientific study. But all the symptoms above seem to disappear when the hormones are balanced. I do feel more energetic and the swelling and bloating does go away. My dry eyes and mouth usually much improved to the point where I don't think about it, but never quite back to normal--not yet anyway. Of course, I can't say for sure if it is the hormones because I also fluctuate with my diet (particularly if I eat out). My doctor does, however, seem to think that balancing my hormones is important to my recovery.

• Posted

Morelia- we seem to be following similar paths.

I was also given progesterone to balance me out in the past, and it "cured" the CFS and migraines I was suffering from then for 2 wonderful years.  However, when all the SJS symptoms began the progesterone suddenly stopped working and all my hormonal symptoms significantly changed. My last blood test showed my progesterone was at a good level along with all other hormones  and only my estradiol was off whack and extremely high.

So interesting your dryness sysmptoms improve when you're balanced! My doctors claim there's no correlation between any SJS symptoms and high estrogen, however estrogen dominance may also affect testosterone activity (even if the later are normal) because of the balancing effect from what I've read. That's why I've decided to attempt to bring the estrogen levels down instead of playing around with both progesterone and testosterone which are both fine. 

We seem to be the only ones on these boards with high estrogen instead of low...may I ask how old you are Morelia?

• Posted

Yes, like I said, I'm not sure if the hormone imbalance is a direct correlation, but regardless, I know I feel better. I'm 50 years old, by the way. I have been having symptoms of autoimmune disease since my early twenties, but didn't recognize them until it became severe in my forties. I feel better now than I have in a long time. So I'm motivated to keep doing all the things I'm doing without taking prescription meds (with the exception of the hormone pills). However, I'm hoping to eventually balance my hormones through more natural methods.
    • Posted

Morelia, I really appreciate your post and strongly agree with the hormone level issues, etc. I don't think there is enough respect, by physician, about hormone imbalances. Exercise will control imbalances between estrogen and testosterone. Insist that your gyno or internist check your hormone levels. If they will not, change drs until you find one that will. Until then, exercise if you are a post meno woman to burn off some of the imbalance, take a multi, drink water with lemon, eat a paleo or darwin diet. Take care. 
  • Posted

Hi All,

A quick follow-up to my post made three months ago. Sea buckthorn oil is innocent!

I'd started having bad diarrhoea and put it down to the sea buckthorn as that was the most recent supplement I'd started taking. However, when I stopped taking it the diarrhoea went on to get much worse - as in not being able to leave the house some days and getting so dehydrated one day I actually thought I was going to have to go to the hospital.

In the end I realised it was due to ubiquinol, which I'd started taking more than six months earlier, for high blood pressure. It had worked very well too! Because it took five months for the side-effects to kick in and because severe diarrhoea is a rare side-effect of ubiquinol, I put the blame on sea buckthorn oil.

Everything returned to normal a few weeks after stopping the ubiquinol (apart from my BP, which climbed straight up again) and the tendinitis and RA that had plagued me for a year also started clearing up. That wasn't ubiquinol-related, as the flare-up had started well before taking it. I'm now almost completely pain-free and suspect the sea buckthorn oil might have had a hand in that. The dryness in my right eye is much reduced as well.

Another concern I had about sea buckthorn oil was that it contains high levels of omega 7, an oil we don't normally get much of in our normal diet. I was a little worried that this might cause liver problems. I stopped taking it in early January and had my latest blood test in late March. My liver enzymes were actually better than they've been for 20 years! (Though I admit that might have been something to do with my cutting back a bit on my wine consumption.)

I've now re-started the unfairly incriminated sea buckthorn oil and will take another three-month course. I still think it's something that shouldn't be taken all the time as I think it could cause liver problems. However, in my case it's proved both harmless and almost certainly beneficial. I plan to take it three months on, three months off from now on.

Now all I have to do is find something to cope with isolated systolic hypertension - the type where the systolic is too high but the diastolic is too low. I recorded a worrying 160/50 in my doctor's office two weeks ago. He says this is a sign of atherosclerosis. Any suggestions on that one? My doctor says taking medication would be a bad idea, as it would lower my diastolic as well as the systolic, and I'm already having dizzy spells. I've been taking magnesium for 15 years btw, and that helped with "normal" hypertension, bringing it down from 150/90 to 120/80. But it ain't working any more.

• Posted

Dear Lily, I have a very important suggestion. Get an ultrasound of your heart. Make sure you do not have a blocked artery. Too much magnesium and calcium will block your arteries. This is very important. See a heart dr immediately to have their watchful eye. Water, water and more water, just one multivitamin that already contains magnesium, yogurt for calcium, lemon water to restore a proper ph, fruits, veggies, lean fish and chicken, no caffine or alcohol, no sugar, walk for exercise, sleep eight hours or more and no stress if possible. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.