Asthma

Posted , 2 users are following.

About a 6 weeks ago I noticed that occasionally I felt wheezy - I am learning to drive at the moment (at 50!) and it seemed to tie in with when I was about to go out in the car, though it once happened in the middle of the night and woke me up. It only happened 4 or 5 times.

I rarely go to the Dr's, but thought I would see her about another matter, so mentioned this and the fact that I had had a mild cough occasionally for a couple of months.

She sent me for a chest x ray which was clear and gave me a peak flow meter. My readings were v low, about 200- 250 so after 2 weeks she gave me a brown inhaler to use in morning and night and blue if I needed it.

She said that it would help with my breathlessness - but I am never breathless and haven't coughed or been wheezy since I saw here (maybe driving is less stressful now!)

Basically I do not feel as if I am asthmatic and inhaler had made no difference - was it just stress?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

With a low pak flow reading I would keep an eye on the situation.

Do not dismiss it as directly/indirectly connected to any stress re:driving.

Asthma is a serious condition and can affect people of all ages, so I suggest you keep the inhalers with you and carefully monitor your progress.

Good luck with your driving...

• Posted

Thank you for that.

My mum always had a very low reading for peak flow, and I can remember in the physics lab at school we had to do an experiment by blowing down a u tube to displace water, and everyone's levels were marked on wall - even 37yrs ago mine was the lowest!

I am just concerned that low peak flow is just normal for me, but I have never had a base line assessment before.

I walk for miles and am quite fit, running up & down stairs doesn't make me breathless!

• Posted

Hi Allie

Your last line is very encouraging, as an asthmatic I can sadly share with you that I no longer can run and I get very breathless climbing stairs.

I didn't suffer from Asthma until I was in my forties? Why I do not know, although my theory at the time-I was under a huge amount of stress?!

I come from a family of marathon runners..my brother has even run the New York/London Marathons as well as countless other well known running challenges eg:The Great North Run..and so on.

Basically we are all unique and if you had a low peak flow many years ago and still function very well...sounds good.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.