Asthma and General Anesthesia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I have to have surgery in 10 days and was horrified to find out that I need full general anesthesia. I have never had general anesthesia before, only propofol or sedation. My asthma is active (not symptomless) and I do use my Ventolin inhaler throughout the day- usually when exercising and using cleaning products. 

I currently take 2 puffs of Advair twice a day, 10mg of Singulair at night, and Ventolin as needed (which is daily).

All I read are horror stories of people with active asthma and general anesthesia, bronchospasm from the tube in the windpipe, etc.

Has anyone ever had general anesthesia and NOT had an issue with their asthma? 

Melissa

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mellisa I have in the last 5years had 6 operations under full anaesthetics each time the doctor looking after you will be very aware you are asthmatic and will take care of you during my last ops I had nebulisers while under and also when in recovery I am sure that that you will monitored very carefully and looked after very well, I wish you well and trust you have a speedy recovery regards.
  • Posted

Hello Melissa

I have had several general anaesthetics in the past few years.  

The anaethetist will come and speak to you before your operation and this is your opportunity to go over your drugs and your concerns and to ask as many questions as you need to put your mind at rest.

You will be monitored extensively and I really would not be overly concerned - there are many asthmatics with sometimes quite complicated drug regimes and everything will be taken into account.

Do ensure you ask those questions, though!

Regards

• Posted

GrammyBea and Nigel,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I have never had general anesthesia before so it is a little scary in itself- then to add Google's asthma horror stories into it is making me so anxious.

Thank you again for your kind words.

• Posted

Hi glad you have ppl reasure you on your up coming surgery and what to expect. Keep us up to date and tell us how it all went smile Good Luck and speedy recovery 

• Posted

keep taking your asthma medication and keep your self healthy the anaethetist will answer all your questions that are worring you . i have had many anaethetics and have been fine as long as you talk to the anaethetist  all be well.
  • Posted

Just make sure they know your asthma  is a real concern and they will watch you very closely and bring you out of it as soon as they can.I pray that all will go well and you will conpletely. Mary Helen
  • Posted

Hi everyone... surgery went well and I am alive! Lol.. no issues with the general anesthesia!! They woke me up before removing the tube from my windpipe, although I don't remember it. She said it would be best if I were awake because it would minimize coughing- hence less trigger to the asthma. Thank you all for your encouragement.. now I'm on my road to recovery.

I had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy at age 30, btw.

Not a fun procedure, but totally do-able!

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

Really pleased to hear you are alive!!!!! (i would be worried if not given your lovely response to my own post.) Didn't realise till reading your post here that you had the adenoids removed also. You must be so proud of yourself for persevering with these.

Stay strong and positive (i will endeavour to do the same with regards to my wife.) Take good care.

Tony

• Posted

LOL this made me laugh! I was convinced I was going to die going under anesthesia (hello, anxiety). The anxiety was so bad years ago I couldn't even get in the car and go to the grocery store... so I've made quite a bit of progress in the anxiety zone. Thank God.

Sending your wife many well wishes.

• Posted

Thank you Melissa. Will pass your wishes onto my wife.

Laughter is supposed to be good for the soul. We should do it more often.

I am all but housebound due to my anxiety - hearing your progress is reassuring and shows small steps can be made. Keep going strong.

• Posted

Hi I am pleased that all went well and wish you a speedy recovery regards
  • Posted

Hi Melissa

I am delighted to see that all went well with your surgery.

I think that there is so much dud information 'out there' and that we can all scare ourselves witless by reading the horror stories.

It seems as if you had good, understanding doctors who listened to your concerns and treated you accordingly.

You can go mad and have as many surgeries as you like now!

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.