Asthma Confusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

I hardly have asthma attacks and if i do its only due to the environment im in such as dust or extremely cold humid weather. ive been diagnosed with asthma since i was born. and recently i went to doctor checkup and they gave me seretide as a preventive for daily use. but i feel its unecessary and recently the past few days ive been feeling a little weird in my lung / breathing kind of thing. like it could potentially lead to an asthma attack. so im not sure if i should still take the seretide or just continue perhaps because its adjustment ??

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jack ive got COPD and I take ventolin inhalers and symbicort I recently went into hospital and they changed my symbicort inhaler for that serentide one but I couldn't get away with it on my chest it was like sucking chalk didn't suit me at all so I went back to my own
  • Posted

Hi Jack, I have asthma, they changed my Symbicort when I was in hospital, so I agree with Snazzy, good description ! 
  • Posted

Hi, I've used Seretide for a few years now, and for me it was my seconed miricle drug, it's had my asthma the most well controlled it's ever been. Everyone reacts differently to different drugs, there is no one size fits all approach, which is why it's got to be tailored to the individule. For me, Symbicort actually makes me feel slightly tight, the moment I use it...  which is wierd because years ago I was fine on Oxis (although it gave me a headache within minutes) and Qvar, both the rapihaler and the turbohaler, I struggle with the Seretide frisby (accuhaler from memory) too. I use the Seretide puffer 250/25 six puffs a day (three morning and three evening) through a spacer.

With inhaled steroids in general, I find I get a lot of sensitivity within a day or two if i stop taking them. I'll say that there there is no real harm in using a low dose preventer on a daily basis. Coming from a background of severe asthma... I have to keep a complement of Atrovent, Ventolin, Seretide, Alvesco, Prednisolone and Fexofenadine at the ready.

Seretide may not work for you, if you feel like it might cause an attack, this is something you need to take seriously and also discuss it with your medical professional. But if you can get away with a low dose preventer of some sort, which could prevent or soften a potential, future, life threatening attack (been there, done that.... don't recommend it), then I say it's worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.