Asthma disappeared

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 14 but never really needed to use an inhailer 10 years ago I was diagnosed again by a consultant as asthmatic as I was having breathing problems.  I have just been seen by my doctors nurse again for asthma clinic and have been told that I dont have asthma I am now very confused as although my asthma is not bad i do get wheezy at times and do get an asthma cough.  I asked the nurse if asthma can just go away and she said yes I am now 43 and am very confused as I have had to use my inhailer over christmas but I am not astmatic apparently anyone else heard of this ????

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi donna. Well I would listen to a consultant rather than a nurse (and I am a nurse). He will have more experience and access to up to date tests etc. What gives her the right to contradict him? Has she seen your Xrays if you had any that is? I would ring the consultants secretary and ask her to tell the consultant what the nurse said and ask his opinion. Asthma can be very serious. The nurse was in my opinion, unprofessional.
    • Posted

Thank you for this as I am so confused I saw a consultant about 12 years ago for a while until he got it under control and I have not seen him since. I mentioned this to the nurse and she said they do it all differently now and when they have monitored my peak flow over the past few weeks I no longer qualify as asthmatic I am confused she basically shoved me out of the door and said I should keep monitoring my peak flow and go back if it gets worse I am not sure what to do now
  • Posted

Hi again donna. Sorry but I disagree again with the nurse. My peak flow is always within normal limits and that's how it should be. It just means that you are well at the moment and your asthma is under control. If you have the cough and are wheezy and need the inhaler then you have asthma. Children tend to grow out of asthma but not adults. I would see your GP. 
    • Posted

Thank you I will do that I appreciate you putting my mind at rest was starting to think I must have been a hypochondriac all these years
    • Posted

Absolutely not donna. The nurse at my surgery is always pleased that my asthma is reasonably controlled. A peak flow in normal limits means you are using your inhaler and using it correctly. In my opinion only a chest physician or consultant can confirm your asthma has "gone away". 
  • Posted

Hi ,i have also had this problem ,a  lot of doctors will say asthma never really goes even if you dont have an inhaler ,just be aware when you are excercising   what  your limits are and if you get wheezy go back to your gp and ask them to lisen to your chest and lungs.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.