Asthma fear and symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

I would like to apologise in advance if this sounds stupid but I can't help the way I think.

I've been diagnosed with having anxiety and also asthma. However, I'm not 100% convinced it's asthma but feel it's anxiety.

I was prescribed both the blue and brown inhalers to use but have yet to use these, partly due to not knowing if it is asthma.

Could someone please tell me:

What symptoms you get with your asthma? Also how do you know when you're having an attack and what do you do to relieve it before seeking help?

I seriously wish my mind didn't over think things but I can't help it.

I just feel I need reassuring.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi tinytitch

No hun it doesn't sound stupid.  If it's worrying you then that's enough reason to ask.

I am wondering if you have had a lung function test.  They usually test you at the hospital (spirometry etc) then you would inhale a bronchodilator and wait 20 minutes and then they would do the test again to test for reversibility.

You might want to try the inhalers just to see if you feel it improves your breathing, or are you afraid of the drugs themselves?

What are they doing about your anxiety?  Congnitive Behaviour Therapy is helpful.  Also there is a website called No Panic which can be helpful.  I would put the link up for you but it takes forever on this site for the mods to allow the links.

Wishing you the best.

love cx

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying.

The only test I had done was peak flow and apparently it was low. This could be because I'm only tiny (4ft11) and don't have big lungs lol

I asked if there were other tests they could do but apparently as asthma and anxiety have similar symptoms it's hard to determine which symptoms are what.

I have had CBT and am on the waiting list to have some more.

I don't want to use the inhalers just encase it's not asthma. Plus as I have a fast heart rate anyway (another health problem), I've been told that the inhalers could increase your heart- not sure if this is right or what the consequences would be.

Thanks for letting me know about no panic - I'll have a look to see if I can find it.

• Posted

You're welcome.

If they do spirometry or peak flow they make allowances for your sex, height, age etc.  I can understand your reluctance to take the inhalers if your diagnosis is not clear cut but if you do have asthma it is important to get it under control.

I hope things work out well for you hun.

love cx

• Posted

Ah ok.

Maybe I am being a bit paranoid who knows.

I'll try get a drs appointment and explain my fears and see what they can suggest.

• Posted

Hi Alan

Thank you for your explanation which is much apprecited.  I have noticed on a few occasrions it has takwen longer but it is good to hear the timescale you endeavour to meet.

Thank you again.

Kind regards

cx

• Posted

Hi Tinytitch22

I have Asthma and have had the same inhalers i am now on symbicort with the blue inhaler which is ventolin.

My asthma symptoms - Tight chest, Wheezing, Coughing, Feeling like i cant breath when i get a bad episode. I have a peak flow meter which i use if it falls below a certain level as per my asthma plan i follow what it states, i have a red amber green system, if it is bad so red it is phone gp or a&e, amber is see asthma nurse asap. green means it is well controlled.

Your Brown one is a preventer to prevent you having an attack

Your Blue one is the reliver to help when you are feeling any asthma symptoms.

Asthma is very much a day to day thing - you can be fine one day and feel rough the next. I find it is worse this time of year and also noticed in the hayfever season it is harder to control.

If you need any more help please message me smile

• Posted

Hi Dawn

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I don't really get the wheezing, occasionally I get the tight chest, my throat feels like it's obstructed and I have coughing fits regularly. I think I may need to re see the nurse / doctor for them to do another check as its been about 6 months since my last check up and things have got worse since then sad

I just hope that whatever diagnosis I get I'm able to cope with.

I do worry and overthink things which probably don't help.

I hope you are ok, and it's good to read how you manage your asthma well. Hopefully I'll learn hints, tips and symptoms and how to cope and deal with them.

• Posted

hi my son is also a real worrier and his asthma is bad when he gets stressed....he needs his inhalers but was without them for over 4 years till started uni last year....this is no coincidence that his anxiety and stress caused by new life style and workload etc made his asthma reappear after so long....my advice to you would be to use the inhaler if your chest is bad but also try to work out your stress triggers and try relaxation techniques to lower the stress levels and you will soon see that the other symptoms may start to lessen....if you hyperventilate then try breathing deeply into a paper bag until your symptoms of anxiety start to calm down.....stress causes so many problems in an otherwise healthy person so try to start by sorting that first...try not to worry and google some relaxation tips particularly those that help you to sleep at the end of the day so you may get good quality sleep and help your body rid itself of stress and all the chemicals that it brings to your body....good luck!
  • Posted

I have both anxiety and asthma, so it's difficult to seperate them sad  

Anxiety can trigger asthma, and asthma can trigger anxiety.  sad

I am also reluctant to use new drugs so I understand your concerns.  Sorry I can't offer any advise except to follow your instincts about your body.  Everyone will try to tell you what to do, and what drugs will work, but listen to your heart.  Sometimes that's all you can do.

On the topic of asthma meds, i have used the fast acting inhalers (like proair/albuteral) as needed for a few years now, and have not noticed any side effects.  I have never tried the steroids, because the possible side effects are....scary.... lol  although I admit i'm paranoid... hehe

Good luck smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.