At a loss. Need advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all. I'm new here and thought I'd reach out for some advice and support. I have been diagnosed with postpartum depression and anxiety that is consuming my life. My son is almost 6 months. I am currently on Prozac at 10 mg. The first week I had several really good days where I felt, wow, this is what I am supposed to feel like. Starting day 10 my anxiety started getting worse. I am now waking up with incredible anxiety every morning that makes me feel sick and is on and off all day. I actually threw up one morning and have to take nausea medication some days. I am on day 16 and I just don't know what to do. I have a son who is depending on me, but all I want to do is hide in a corner. Should I try another medication or possibly up my dose? My doc just prescribed xanax to help, but it makes me very drowsy. Please help me out here rolleyes

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Also, my doctor said at 2 weeks in the meds weren't working for me since my anxiety is worse and told me I need to see someone else (essentially they will not help me anymore). Isn't heightened anxiety a side effect or is what is happening to me truly out to the norm?
    • Posted

Hi, I know that everybody is different but fluoxetine made me extremely anxious. I was told that this was a side effect. For some people though it can be temporary. For me it wasn't and I needed to stop the fluoxetine rather quickly, and propranolol temporarily. I've switched to Sertraline now. Many people don't get on with the first antidepressant they try so if I were you I would get a second opinion. All the best. Just make sure you don't stop your meds without the guidance of a GP as it needs to be tapered off, although you haven't been taking it long and fluoxetine has a long half life. Hope that helps xxx
    • Posted

Thank you! How long were you on flu when you decided it wasn't just a temporary side effect and needed to change meds?
  • Posted

Hi, the side affects do vary from person to person, I was on fluoxetine a few years back and didn't have any side affects at all, this time around I had really bad anxiety attacks, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat (not good for someone with an eating disorder!) didn't want to get up let alone leave the house, luckily these passed for me after about 3-4 weeks... But from the stories I've heard it can be anything upto 7-8 weeks before these settle down, I've been taking them for over 3 months now, and feel so so so much better! I can go out and enjoy things again! What I will say is keep talking to your GP and friends! Your GP should have your best interest at heart and if they are telling you to go see someone else I damn well would cause they don't sound like a good GP to me!!! Sometimes the first AD you try is not the right one for you, but don't give up hope there is one that will work for you out there! X
  • Posted

Hi there, I also took fluoxetine for about 4 1/2 weeks but had to stop due to overwhelming anxiety. My anxiety was increasing every day and I felt awful. As soon as I stopped I did feel slightly better, but please go back to your GP and see someone different, tell them how you are feeling. It might be worth your while to ask about therapy, You are not alone and as others have said the first AD doesn't always work. I hope you feel better really soon. Good luck.cheesygrin
    • Posted

Thank you! I do not want to continue with this medicine and want to stop taking it. Did you experience any withdrawals after you stopped? Did you stay off AD's or start another drug immediately??
  • Posted

Hi HJ I had no withdrawal symptoms at all, A day or two after I stopped taking them I still had anxiety but it had released it's grip a bit if you know what I mean. I must say I'm amazed when peiple have said they had terrible anxiety but continued with the meds and it was better in about 8 weeks or whatever. I applaud that. Maybe I am a woose but honestly I really can't say how bad I felt and could not have continued taking them. I did try others but decided I didn't want to take medication as I was left with a total phobia. Over my life I have tried maybe 8. I go to therapy now and I would say try it, you have nothing to lose. Speak to your Dr and discuss exactly how you feel.I don't want to put anyone off but I need to be honest. Everyone is different and what works for one doesn't always for another. The very best of luck to you. I hope you feel better soon.cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.