At last an answer!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all. I am from the US and was diagnosed with lichen planus a year and a half ago. I had it all over my legs, arms, stomach, and back. No oral issues.  After 6 months of pain, discomfort, and only wanting to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts, I decided to get an opinion from another doctor. All my dermatologist  offered was different (and expensive) steroids and light therapy, neither worked. I tried gluten free, a diet change, new vitamins. Nothing worked.

The new doctor transformed my life. I have not had a flare up in a year. My skin is healing and all that is left is some marks that will eventually fade. He put me on a trial of low dose naltrexone. In its normal quantity it is for substance abuse issues, however in the low dose they are finding it helps with autoimmune issues. I was the first patient he had to have lichen planus however, he has used it to treat similar conditions. It has very limited side effects and no long term side effects so we gave it a shot. I am happy to say it is cheap ($25 a month) and very effective!  I have no side effects and could not be happier that I've been free of lichen planus for a year.  I take it at night as I was told by my Dr. that is more effective at night.  I would research it a little and bring it up to your doctor as an option. I hope this helps someone in in someway! I can sympathize with how terrible lichen planus is to deal with.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That is awesome!! My oral L P has come back recently and was really starting to get depressed about it. I had it 10 years ago and it lasted about a year. I am seeing my doctor soon and am going to share this information with her. I happy you are doing well and your doctor was able help you. I also have Lupus, Sjogrens and Raynauds so my doctor will definitely research this treatment option. Than you so much.

God Bless You

Kristy k

• Posted

Always brilliant to hear of success stories - delighted for you.  I have only just seen my dermatologist but will definitely let him know about naltrexone.  Thanks again for sharing the info.
  • Posted

Interesting!  I've read a couple of articles and I am definitely going to talk to my doctor about it on my next visit.  I just had a visit and I am not expected to go back until July.  Darn!  i am on an immune suppressant so this sounds like a better option to me.  Thank you for letting us know about it!
  • Posted

Dear Amonte, it's amazing to hear that somebody has had such a great response to a medication.  I will ask one of my doctors for this drug.  I have Planus on my back, hips, underarms, neck, vagina, anus and through out my mouth and lips.  My eyes even hurt.  I'm drooling. I feel like it's never going to get better.   But thanks to you I have something to suggest to my doc. Thanks  Amonte!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.