At least I know why.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I went to see my consultant yesterday and although everything is in place and as it should be, it seems I have inflammation of the tendons around the implant. I had a partial knee replacement on the outside of my left knee 7 months ago and have been experiencing pain on sitting an standing. He said it should have all settled down by now and wants to see me again in six months as there is not a lot he can do to remedy it. The question I would like to ask is, are there any other pkr's out there who have had the replacement on the outside and if so have they experienced any problems with it. The consultant said that partials on the outside are very rare and in their infancy and that they use the prosthetic that would be used on the inside of the opposite leg, in my case the right leg, ( hope that makes sense). This, he said, is the reason for the inflammation, as there is a very slight overhang over the bone. Thanks for reading. Susan x.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't like the sound of the prosthesis not fitting properly. I would be interested to know if you had NHS or private? I  feel very sorry for you, after all the reason for your op is to free you of pain not give you some. I really hope this all settles down for you.

​Take care

Elaine

• Posted

Thanks Elaine, I had it done on the NHS and I wouldn't say it doesn't fit, exactly, it seems to me that it's a case of 'make do' as obviously that prosthetic is not meant for the area I needed replacing. There is an edge next to the tendons that is aggravating them. X
  • Posted

hi susan ive only had total tkr but id say the recovery would be much the same  but i must admit im not convinced that not using the proper component for the knee would worry me i cant understand why he did that if he didnt have the proper component why didnt he give you a total tkr sounds crazy to me i hope your not the guinnea pig here im sorry if i worried you but after having trouble myself with bi lateral a few years ago i hate to see people having a hard time due to incompetent surgeons i do hope yours settles down soon  its easy for him to say see you in 6 mths and not alot he can do im soooo mad at the flipent way surgeons dissmiss patients
    • Posted

I agree linda, this surgeon sounds incompetant - I am very cross on susan's behalf too. How dare he not make sure the fit was good! and to have to wait six months! I do hope this works out. Please keep us informed susan.
    • Posted

im so sick of hearing how surgeons just throw these words around as if it means nothing well it certainly means alot to people that put there trust in them if your public patient or private is shouldnt matter ,i was private and what happened to me didnt seem to matter much  to my surgeon he still went home and carried on while my life changed for ever lets hope susan comes out of this well
  • Posted

I definitely wouldn't be waiting a further six months! I've only(!) had new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea. I waited 11 years for it as I was considered too young before. During that time I wore a knee support to enable me to get about and live a "normal" life. After my op I was told that knee support had done the job of my muscles and it is only now, 23 long, long weeks later, that muscles are beginning to remember what to do......and this is only after lots of exercising and cycling on exercise bike. I did ask during my wait for surgery whether wearing a knee support was ok.......fine they said......yeah right! NEVER AGAIN will a medical personnel fob me off!

Six months is a long time to wait on top of the seven months you've already had......you get complaining to someone, anyone that will listen, make an absolute nuisance of yourself. It's not your surgeon who is having to live with it....TELL HIM THAT! 

Sorry for the rant.......but I'm so annoyed for you! When you've gathered yourself and feel strong enough to confront someone about it.....do it! 

• Posted

I have some tendon iflammation 7 months after my TKR.  I believe it was happening before the operation but the pain was masked by the bone on bone pain from the knee.  My PA said not much they could do but Ipuprofen and ice and try to give it some time to heal up.  It is bothersome but nothing like what I was going thru. 

I doubt this helps solution-wise but just letting you know that others (well...me) have tendon issues.  Hope you find a solution or work around!  Best wishes,

Don 

• Posted

Thanks everyone. I must admit, I haven't got my head around it yet. I was suprised that the surgeon would tell me that as the op is so rare they use the component that would be for the inside of the other leg. It does seem a bit strange. I have a physio session on Wednesday and I am going to discuss it with him, to see what he thinks. The thing is, I knew something wasn't quite right , but even the physio said nothing can go wrong. I saw the x ray and to an untrained eye such as mine, it all looked very good.x
    • Posted

susan did he not tell you that before he did the op and let you decide if you wanted to go down the road of putting in a component that was not for the leg it was put into ??? i tell you this is very strange ive never sued anybody (mind you id loved to have after my bi lateral) but i think you would have a case if he didnt tell you before the op !!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.