atenolol

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone  know how long a 25mg dose of atenolol  stays in the system, i have just come off bisoprolol  because it made me feel  so ill   and now on atenolol to  slow my heart rate  it worked this morning  but feels like its wearing off now :-( 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi . I also took bisop for a fast H.rate for 4 years. I had awful side effects but was fobbed off by several docs. Eventually another doc changed it to atenolol and gradually increased the dose to 100 mgs. I had lots of side effects and then persuaded my doc to lower it to 50. I read all sorts of info on the web and decided to ask a new GP if I could lower it to 25, I have done so and after a month the withdrawal effects were very frightening. I put up with these and have decided to cut the dose again. I'm now on about 8-10 mgs. My heart rate is no worse than before either on biso 10 mg,or 100 atenolol! Side effects have almost disappeared. I can now walk...not feeling as though I was walking in treacle, no ringing in my ear, my vision has improved so much I will need new glasses, no afternoon sleep needed and my head and brain can now think and function!

ok,I don't know if I'm doing harm to my heart..I have A/f, but my blood pressure is good and my pulse still fluctuate and can reach 114 b.p.m.

I've read that generally if you have side effects from one beta blocker,then it's likely to have the same effect. Atenolol...read up about it ....it's cheap...it's not the one to be chosen as first choice....But....who knows? Such a difficult one and I'm no doctor! 

I hope you are ok . I think the atenolol stays in the body for 7/8 hours if I remember rightly. Probably why I used to feel so much better when it was time relax in the evening and go to bed! Hope this helps.

• Posted

i was  on  50 mg   for about  10 years or so   then i was so ill over xmas that  my bp  crashed so they took me off them   then  5 months later   put me on bisoprolol  which  i cudnt get on with   so they  put  me on  25mg of atenolol  but feel i need the 50 mg   as it slows my heart rate  better  am  waiting for the docs to  call   now to  see if i can up the dose .... fingers crossed 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.