Atopic Dermatitis Questions Regarding Treatment?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I posted a previous discussion regarding a prescribtion I was given for contact dermatitis that did not work. I have been suffering from skin problems on my perinuem area for 6 weeks(Male). At first, I was dianosed with contact dermatitis, and I was prescribed an steroid cream. A more pontent cream was given to me last week. None of the creams worked. I went to a second dermatologist yesterday, and I was informed I have atopic dermatitis in the area. I was given tacrolimus ointment for it. The cream burns like hell when you apply it. Does anyone have any experience regarding this cream? Or any solutions for atopic dermatitis? it is really anoying, as everytime I walk, the skin on the area rubs causing discomfort(both naked of with clothes). Underwear touching the skin also causes so much discomfort on by daily activities.

I was also informed to use vaseline on the area, and soak vinegar on a cloth and apply to the area at night. Nothing seems to work. The skin is red, no itching, just the skin discomfort when it rubs again skin(upper inner thigh area) or clothes(underwear). Anyone who has any ideas of what else I should be trying.

Best,

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi avalos316

Sounds like a fungal infection...they thrive in warm moist areas.....try canesten anti-fungal cream from supermarket or chemist.....apply after bathing or shower....thoroughly dry the affected area then apply the canesten cream.....continue this for about a week after washing and thoroughly drying the area.....if canesten does not do it then i have no idea what it can be....try it anyway and see what happens...bedt wishes....

• Posted

Hello Lilian,

Thanks for the response. The first doctor that I saw 6 weeks ago gave me treatment for a fungus infection, but it did not work. That is when doctors started to mention it was something else. After 4 weeks of treatments for different possible conditions(Antibiotics, fungus, skin irritation), I was sent to a dermatologist. No one has been able to find a solution. That is why I am giving up on Doctors and searching the web.

• Posted

Hi avalos316

Ok so its not a fungal infection.....i think the best thing that your doc could do for you is to refer you for a skin biopsy...take a sample of the affected area and test it.....go back to your doc and suggest this...best wishes....

• Posted

The dermatologist I saw last week scheduled me to have a skin biopsy yesterday. I went to my appointment with the dermatologist for the biopsy yesterday, but the dermatologist who was going to do the biopsy told me he disagree with the first dermatologist, and that I should not get the biopsy as it was gonna cause more pain on the area. He called a third dermatologish to have another opinion, and the third dermatologist after seeing the area also recommended against the biopsy.

My concern is that the two dermatologist disagree with the first one, but the two dermatologist did have a discussion on different treatments for me(each have a different opion) until they decided to go to with the cream after a back and fourth.

• Posted

Hi avalos316

I would have insisted on the biopsy....with all these differing opinions your not getting anywhere....i know there may be some pain afterward but it will heal where the skin is taken.....you will obviously be patched up with gauze etc and this may help with your underwear to stop irritating the area....at least they will find out what this patch of skin is that is causing you these problems...up to you though..hope you get an answer to the problem soon....

• Posted

avalos316, I have heard that cleansing your skin with Cetaphil is wonderful so soothe and help heal atopic dermatitis, they have the cleansers, lotions, for body and face and it is supposed to help this heal. I hear that atopic dermatitis is a chronic condition that can heal up and you can have out breaks of it but this cleanser is wonderful and doesn't have any kind of harsh products in it and if you can get some relief then at least you would get some help until they can decide how to get rid of it . I hope this helps at least some of your pain. Keep us updated as to your progress. May God Bless you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.