Atrial Fibrillation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone developed high blood pressure and atrial fibrillation

after taking hydroxychloroquine?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cloch,

I have been wondering about the connection with high blood pressure and SS for awhile. My blood pressure shot up out of nowhere before I was diagnosed and started on the Hydroxychloroquine. So I have been wondering if high blood pressure is just another part of SS. I haven't seen any info to confirm that. I have experienced palpatations a couple of times since starting the meds. But is it because of the meds. I am not sure. I wonder if we look at research on other Autoimmune conditions if it might mention high blood pressure so little research has been done on SS specifically

Sally

• Posted

Hi Sally, I'm just not sure whether it's coincidence or not. My

blood pressure was borderline high for some time. I was

diagnosed with cutaneous lupus and sjojren's in Jan. and

started on Plaquenil. I was taken by ambulance to hospital

from doctor's surgery with tachycardia in March. Iwas started on medication for BP and just got results of heart monitor

I wore for 5 days and I now have Atrial Fibrillation which will

hav to be treated. The thing is when I looked at the leaflet

with Plaquenil among lots of other things it said "tell Dr. If

you experience high BP or rapid hear rate. Well I showed both

my GP and rheumatologist the leaflet and they both said

they didn't think Plaquenil was the cause my AF. So who

knows.

• Posted

Hiya Cloch,  I've just cut and pasted this from the website, hope it helps..

Can hydroxychloroquine cause problems?

Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. The table below contains some of the most common ones. You will find a full list in the manufacturer's information leaflet supplied with your medicine. The unwanted effects often improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following continue or become troublesome.

Common hydroxychloroquine side-effects    What can I do if I experience this?

Feeling sick, stomach pain, loss of appetite, diarrhoea    Remember to take the tablets after food or with a drink of milk. Stick to simple foods - avoid spicy or rich meals

Headache    Ask your pharmacist to recommend a suitable painkiller

Eye problems (for example, blurred vision or sensitivity to light)    Let your doctor know about this as soon as possible

Skin rash or itching    If this becomes troublesome, speak with your doctor

• Posted

Thanks Christine for the info. Did it mention BP or rapid

heart rate?

• Posted

No it didn't Cloch, but if I was you I would research further, not that I would keep looking till I found what I wanted to hear...but I would ask a pharmacist/chemist.too..they are so very helpful here in Oz..have a lovely day..be blessed:-) xxxx
    • Posted

Thanks Christine I will do that. I'm just looking for reassurance

that it's not the medication that's causing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.