Atrial Fibrillation

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had AF since 2011 I also have a Hiatus Hernia which in the past triggered episodes of AF as it is a sliding hernia. Is there anyone else with the same problem?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yup - sounds like a vagus nerve issue.  Eat small meals and do not eat or drink anything within 3 hours of going to bed for the night but do drink plenty of water after your last meal. It would also help to add some digestive enymes to take right after dinner to assist in emptying the stomach so when you do lie down your stomach is empty and the vagus nerve is calm....

Frank.

Frank 

• Posted

Hi Frank,

Any particular type of digestive enzyme recommended. I certainly believe there is a link between AF and the digestive system.

• Posted

Hi Reginald

I gave you a response but I mentioned a store here in America that sells the digestive enzymes and they are holding the response.  The key to what I said was to look for an enzyme that contains lipases, enzymes that digest fats.

Also, the vagus nerve goes from the stomach to the heart and does effect afib.

The reason I mentioned the vagus neve is because there is a clinical trial going on right now with a vagus nerve blocking instrument, called vbloc, that is in clinical trials for shutting off the arythmia caused by the vagus nerve in afib.  Pretty exciting, but we'll have to wait for the results.

Keep your eyes open for that one...

Frank

• Posted

Thanks Frank,

I follow your comments and have had some success I believe.

I shall try the enzyme as suggested. I am already on the Magnesium supplements.

I will also keep my eyes open for the results of current tests.

Thanks

Reg

• Posted

Good for you on the magnesium.  It was recently published that scientists are now thinking that the reason the mediterranean diet is so successful is because it is high in magnesium, and low in sugar, which causes magnesium secretion.  It will take a while to restore magnesium to proper levels because it is used throughout the body, especially the heart muscles cells and the overall effects will be very subtle and might take a year or more (or less?)...

Frank.

• Posted

I intend to stick with it. I've just ordered my 1st supply of lipsale

Enzyme Tablets!

Reg

• Posted

Hi Frank, any idea if Britain (where I live) is clinical trialing vbloc? I've been in constant AFib + palpitations for over 21 years (eventually diagnosed late-2016), since being dropped from 3-4 feet height, onto my front, causing prolapse of a disc in my lower-neck, dislocation of Left jaw-joint + Left shoulder. My bowel has, ever since, produced only small (Brazil-nut) size stools, despite a very high fibre diet. Perhaps Vagus nerve malfunction (from my neck injury?) keeps gut muscle in constrictive spasm?

I would be very happy to be a medical guineapig for vbloc clinical trial, assuming it's safe.

• Posted

Hi Liz

You'd have to google that question for UK clinical trials.

That said, it sounds to me that you might be pinching a vagus nerve in the neck, and a decent neurologist should be able to help, or a neurosurgeon, my preference.

You also can see some videos of "vagus nerve massages." That might do the trick for you.  You can massage the vagus nerve right under either ear toward the back, not to irritate the carotid artery, and some find that it does the job.

Keep in touch.

Frank

• Posted

Hi Frank, thanks for swift reply. A month ago, I asked my GP for referral to a specific neurologist - to ask if Vagus nerve trauma may be cause of my constant AFib + palpitation that have been my 'normal' since injury 21 yrs ago.

It would be amazing if massage can resolve this. Instinctively, for those 21 yrs, I have asked my boyfriend to squeeze my shoulders, and rub thumbs on my neck. For me, feels good when left + right thumbs make synchronised movement. Effect unpleasant if, instead, Left thumb moves before Right moves (like footsteps).

I'll search for "vagus nerve massage", but not today as boyfriend is going to a gig, so no massage possible, yet, alas.

Anyone here had success with V N massage? Did AFib cease? Temporarily? Permanently?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.