atrophic vaginitis

Posted , 11 users are following.

It is great to be able to share experiences and treatments that you have tried. You feel you are on your own with this and it really does alter your life. Besides atrophic vaginitis i am healthy so i should be grateful. I am 50 this year but the problem started at least 5 years ago and is gradually getting worse. Sex is a thing of the past!!! How I wish i had started earlier and had more!! You do not appreciate this when you are younger.

Sex is impossible as even attempt at penetration damages the skin at the entrance so any movement is agony. There is no mucus dry as a bone lubricants make no difference to the damage. I have not had 'proper' sex for at least 3 years.

I have tried ovestin cream for 2 years no help at all.

Replens no difference

I have been on some herbal tablets with sage for 2 months no change.

I would be grateful for any ideas.[/b]

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I completely understand and empathize. I started feeling extreme pain with penetration in April 2013. I have not been able to have proper sex since then. It is destroying me and I feel for my husband. I have gone to 4 doctors and have been diagnosed with vulvovaginal atrophy, vulvodynia and vulvar adhesions. I cannot go through a gyn exam, or have transvaginal ultrasounds. This is really a surreal experience. I have lost my identity, cannot exercise the way I would like to, and feel like there's no hope. I used Lidocaine Jelly (2%) and Premarin topical cream and had a window of about 2 weeks in February 2014 when I thought I would be okay; I even started using vaginal dilators and could insert size #2 (sizes are 0-4). But then I started itching, noticed some plaque-like lesions and got scared, so my doctor discontinued the Lidocaine and decreased the Premarin. Well, a couple of months ago, the stinging/razor-like pain came back with a vengeance. She put me on topical Clobetasol for one month, and I had about 2 days of relief, but still cannot insert even my finger for fear of the horrible pain. The pain is only at the bottom of the introitus, called the posterior fourchette. But it means that sex is impossible as I cannot tolerate penetration. In the meantime I am so worried that my vagina (inside) is becoming more and more atrophied. It is hell on earth what we're going through. I pray, I cry, communicate with my husband whom I adore, and hope with all my heart that I will find some sort of solution in the near future. I am only 50 years old and want to have my life back!
    • Posted

Hi.  I discovered a very simple but effective treatment to help with penetration.  It is called a vagi wave.  It is small and wavy and you place it in the vagina for 21 nights.  It completely worked and you can read and purchase it on the vagi wave website.  The vagi wave has relaxed the muscles and works even for young girls who become nervous with tampons, examinations etc.  There are probiotics on amazon that help with womens sexual reproduction area which you may find useful to read. 
  • Posted

Have any of you used 'Yes' sounds good , if so which should I go for water  or oil base??
    • Posted

I use the water based Yes every few days and then both the water based and oil based for those 'special' occasions 😉. My husband tells me he can't tell the difference between what used to be natural lubrication and now the Yes which does the same job. I have been using it now for several years I am now 67. I also use vagifem pessaries twice weekly and this combination seems to keep me fairly pain free and the skin quite healthy. Hope you find some relief.
  • Posted

Just looked up the vagi wave product. Not sure it would be effective with atrophy. From what I undestood my doctors to say the atrophy is caused by a lack of hormones and lack of use. In my case it is both. Though my doctor recommends using hormone cream I am reluctant to reintroduce them to my body as I am not having a sexual relationship. My only discomfort is with exams. However, it is frightening to read of the horrendous problems that can ensue.

I wonder if there is anyone who has started using hormone cream to be proactive rather than for any painful symptoms.

• Posted

Go for it Beverley, hope you did. I've been putting off using vagifem because of some pure notion. Do it, why not? we're controlled by hormones anyway, let's have some of that control back with medical science!
    • Posted

Susan, my particular reluctance is due to having a sister with stage 4 estrogen dependent breast cancer. She was on HRT for years after her hysterectomy. So it comes down to: should I expose myself to hormones on the chance that AV will eventually cause problems in the future... or do I avoid any exposure to them on the chance that I may have my sister's susceptibilty to cancer.
  • Posted

I also have severe AV and I thoroughly recommend that ladies don't wait before seeing a Dr to avoid the longterm damage caused by the condition. I unfortunately did and have lost a good part of my vaginal folds, suffered splits which have left scarring and uncomfortable sex. Thankfully since starting a combination of hrt and Vagifem everything has improved and although not reversed I have been able to start getting back to normal and again enjoying intimacy.
  • Posted

This is a very common problem. up to 45% of postmenopausal women suffer from vaginal symptoms with varying degrees of pain and discomfort.  It impacts your quality of life, relationships, and self image.  Please make an appointment with a good GYN physician or ARNP, (nurse practitioner).  When you make your appointment ask for a trial of the medicine called Estrace.  It is a low dose vaginal estrogen cream applied directly to the vagina (size of a pea drop).  This medicine actually "plumps up your vaginal tissues" and should help your symptoms. It is not the same type of "estrogen" that you take in the pill form so there are less of the adverse effects you are concerned about. There are all types of estrogen creams out there so don't give up until you find the right fit for you. Unlike the "hot flashes, etc" vulvovaginal atrophy is progressive and does not resolve on its on.  Plus you need to be screened to make sure you do not have a vaginitis that may be contributing to the problem. (Vaginitis can be caused without sex). You need to get to a GYN and get your script. Start living a pain free life.  Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

Hi, I really do know what you are going through and yes, the menopause seems to go on for years.  Wish I had started early too - missed out on so much.  I have just turned 50 and my periods went through crazy stuff for a good few years and eventually stopped three months ago.  The pain with sex became so unbearable that I had to stop completely and I never go to the Doctor but became so concerned about not only the feeling, dryness and soreness in my vagina but noticed that it seemed lumpy and not like what it used to be.  I went to a gynaecologist who, even with a second opinion, could not see anything at all, even though I was pointing to the lumps.  Anyway, he prescribed Vagifem, a locally administered oestrogen drug which you insert in the vagina and even though I was reluctant I decided to bite the bullet and try it because I was so desperate and my husband was giving up the will to live.  Surprisingly enough, my vagina seems to have gone back to being quite lubricated - I never had any problems in this department so it was a great shock to be in this situation.  It is early days yet and I'm not sure what will happen when I stop the Vagifem or if I need to just keep taking it.  I am concerned about taking any kind of a drug.  Unfortunately the sensation is not there - I don't have a lot of feeling down there as it feels quite numb but I am pleased to have at least some lubrication as it helps with the dry feeling, peeing and swelling.  I was starting to think I had something very serious going on down there with all the lumpiness. 

I would love to know if you can take the Vagifem with Sage as I have been having the most chronic night sweats, palpitations and chest pain - very scary every night and I feel as if my head is about to explode.  I thought the Vagifem was contributing to this but I know it was going on before I used it.  The only other solution I have to all of this is that I get combined reiki, bodytalk and kinesiology which I have missed for a couple of months now and need to get back.  My Master therapist says that my menopause is so bad because of extreme grief from a husband who was unfaithful and not having children.  I have had an awful lot of internalised anger and have spent years in therapy but hopefully I am coming out the other side of all of that - it was very hard times as I didn't meet my 'soulmate' until I was 40 and then he did the dirty on me.  This is very long winded, but I wanted to let people know about emotions and therapy and see if anyone has tried it and if it works for them.  I look forward to hearing from you and if your symptoms have alleviated in any way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.