Atrophy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, when I had my biopsy for LS it came back as "hyperkeratotic crust overlying an atrophic epidermis" This atrophy, is that limited to just the outside area on the vulva skin or does the atrophy also affect the vagina and urogenital tract? I'm confused.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

LS does not involve the vaginal canal (but I'm not 100% sure about the urogenital track; I know there can be LS surrounding the urethra; perhaps someone else can chime in about that part!).
    • Posted

My last appt with the gyno, I think she said there could be an overlay that might need slicing away eventually, but it didn't sound as if LS would creep inside. Good question!
    • Posted

My understanding is the introitus can narrow (due to scarring around the entrance to the vagina) but LS doesn't affect the inside of the vagina (unlike lichen planus, which can).
    • Posted

oh andrea...slicing away??? that doesn't sound good. Any other strategy?
  • Posted

I got the same result but was told it was inconclusive for LS now waiting to see vulvologiest! It's so confusing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.