Atypical olanzapine side-effect?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I don't know how relevant my friend's story will be to most people taking olanzapine but I think it's worth reporting anyway.

This 80-year-old lady (for whom I'm responsible as all her family are on the other side of the world) started developing vascular dementia six years ago and moved voluntarily into a care home three years ago. All was well for the first two years, but then she went into a psychotic episode, brought on by a quite innocent episode in the home which brought back memories of the severe sexual abuse she'd suffered as a child.

After that it was downhill all the way. A vigorous woman in excellent physical health, she started violently attacking the care staff, as well as some of the most vulnerable residents. After a five-month roller-coaster of horrifying doses of benzos and antipsychotics, not to mention spending a few days on the Liverpool Care Pathway in a geriatric ward, she was finally admitted to a high-security unit eight months ago, where she was put on olanzapine 10mg, mirtazapine 30mg and varying doses of alprazolam. Olanzapine seemed to suit her quite well. At least it didn't produce the dreadful side-effects of risperidone (which had nearly killed her some months earlier) and clozapine.

And yes - as a former nurse I'm well aware that this is an off-label (unauthorised) use for olanzapine and, indeed, any other antipsychotic drugs, but they're prescribed for half the dementia sufferers in the world.

Three months after starting on the olanzapine, her left hand suddenly swelled massively, with the fingers bent tightly into the palm. This happened literally overnight. The hand was X-rayed but nothing showed up. Various anti-inflammatory meds were tried, but the condition continued to worsen. Her hand, which rapidly became completely useless, swelled to twice its original size and the fingers ressembled bananas. The skin was red, shiny and hot, with the appearance of cellulitis, and looked as if it might split. Because it was completely impossible to open her fingers, her nails started growing into the flesh of her palm, producing infected wounds which couldn't be accessed for cleaning.

When the other hand showed signs of going the same way, I had a hunch that it might be the olanzapine. Don't ask me why. I scoured the web (I read in four languages) but could find absolutely no reference to this, apart from the mention of peripheral oedema. And peripheral oedema didn't go anywhere near describing my friend's condition.

Finally, I emailed the manufacturer. I'm not sure whether naming them would count as advertising according to the rules of this site, but you can google it - and those of you who take the stuff will know anyway. To my amazement, I received four calls from them in the next three days - one locally and the other from their European HQ.

Following this, I managed to prevail upon the home to try reducing the dosage from 10mg to 7.5mg. Within a couple of weeks, the swelling had entirely gone down. Unfortunately, the hand remains spastic and useless, but I suspect this may be part of her advancing dementia anyway. At least, though, I can now prise her fingers open enough to cut her nails. And she didn't develop any rebound psychosis following the reduction - unlike her reaction to the reduction and withdrawal of risperidone, which plunged her into extreme paranoid psychosis.

Since then, I've received another three phone calls from the manufacturer asking about her - that's seven calls over a three-month period, in response to just one email. During the last call, a week ago, they asked permission to call me again in a few months' time.

Is it just my suspicious mind, or does anyone else think they might have heard this story before, even though it doesn't appear anywhere in the literature? Or, I suppose, one could put another slant on it, and say they're acting responsibly. Hmm...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI Lily,  

My old NP ( I have a new one now) once gave me Olanzapine for anger/frustration episodes) I only took it for two weeks because i felt like crap on it and gained 20 pounds in two weeks.

For the elderly this could be a dangerous drug. can't there be anything else they can give here?

Here is what I found: Musculoskeletal

Back pain, joint pain (5%); musculoskeletal stiffness (4%); arthralgia, muscle spasms (3%).

Increased Mortality in Elderly Patients with Dementia Related Psychosis

Both first generation (typical) and second generation (atypical) antipsychotics are associated with an increased risk of mortality in elderly patients when used for dementia related psychosis.

Although there were multiple causes of death in studies, most deaths appeared to be due to cardiovascular causes (e.g. sudden cardiac death) or infection (e.g. pneumonia).

Antipsychotics are not indicated for the treatment of dementia-related psychosis.- See more at: https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Treatment/Mental-Health-Medications/Olanzapine-%28Zyprexa%29#sthash.RjvD4B4d.dpuf

It sounds to me like it could be a combination of the medications. I would have the take her off of it and giver here something safer. The mortality and problem risks with Olanzapine are very high in the elderly. Good luck. She is 80 and sometimes doctors tend to overmedicate the elderly. Keep an eye on them. My mom is an RN and left her job at an Elderly Care Hospital because the doctors kept increasing the amounts of benzodiazapines. This can be dangerous and lead to death also. Its the breathing that can be affected. Also I would worry about diabetes, and dyskensia. I got that when I was on Seroquel XR after one year. I weaned off of it. As for my opinion. Olanzapine is not a good drug at all. Too many side effects. 

• Posted

I found this on NAMI the National Alliance of Mental Illness

Olanzapine can cause musclulurskelatal problems and dyskensia. 

My old NP had me on it for two weeks for anger/frustration and I gained twenty pounds. In my opinion from what I read it is not good for the elderly. 

Be careful too. In the elderly care homes they want the patients to stay calm all of the time instead of using talk therapy or music therapy or reading to the patients to calm them down. My mom is an RN and she had to quit working in an Elderly care facility because when the patients got hyper the doctors would keep making her increase the amounts of Benzodiazapines they were given. This alone is dangerous and they have a rebound effect where if you use too many you can become even more aggitated and they stop working. 

Increased Mortality in Elderly Patients with Dementia Related Psychosis

Both first generation (typical) and second generation (atypical) antipsychotics are associated with an increased risk of mortality in elderly patients when used for dementia related psychosis.

Although there were multiple causes of death in studies, most deaths appeared to be due to cardiovascular causes (e.g. sudden cardiac death) or infection (e.g. pneumonia).

Antipsychotics are not indicated for the treatment of dementia-related psychosis. 

• Posted

Thanks, Debra. I'm only too well aware that olanzapine isn't authorised for use in dementia, but I'm afraid that's precisely what it's being used for all over the world. Ditto for other antipsychotics - and olanzapine's been a walk in the park compared to the dreadful side-effects my poor friend suffered when she was on high doses of risperidone and clozapine.

There's no way they're going to take her off this drug while she's in a home. I had to move heaven and earth - at the risk of incurring staff reprisals against my friend - just to get them to reduce it from 10mg to 7.5mg. Their initial response was to up her alprazolam (Xanax). However, when that resulted in her being rushed to hospital in convulsions due to low BP (50/30 that evening!) they at least scaled that back to 0.5mg per day.

I might just add that my friend is 1m60 (5ft 3in) tall and weighs just 43kg (95lb). That's a BMI of 16.8, so you can imagine the effect this cocktail of drugs is having in such a frail, tiny person. Unfortunately, however, she continues to punch above her weight (literally) in spite of - or I sometimes think because of - all this medication, so there's no chance they're going to take her off it.

My main reason for posting was to put this out there in case anyone else had seen an elderly relative suffering from the same bizarre hand condition. I do believe that if I hadn't persuaded them to reduce the olanzapine my friend would have been facing an agonising death from severe infection in her hand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.