Atypical plantar fasciitis? Or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had heel pain for 15 months now. I'm 27 and active (or at least I used to be before my foot problems), and I first felt symptoms while playing competitive sports. My podiatrist says I have plantar fasciitis (after doing x-rays and a MRI), but my symptoms don't seem to fit the description of classic plantar fasciitis. My heel pain increases with activity, so I actually feel my best in the morning. Has anyone else experienced this? My podiatrist is recommending surgery at this point, but I'm worried that I've been misdiagnosed and the surgery won't actually resolve my issue.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Surgery is a last resort and your problem sounds more like heel spurs rather than legiment tightening or damage. I should try thick cushioning gel pads in all you shoes and see if that helps. Try and avoid activites that involve pounding the heel like running does, swimming is great exercise and I love Skiing which is supposed to build up muscle around the Knee which is where I have the pain after the pf pain subsided.
    • Posted

I thought it might be a heel spur too, but the x-rays didn't find anything. I've been wearing inserts for about a year now (started out with Dr. Scholl's gel inserts and recently upgraded to Super feet), but it's still difficult for me to walk my dog for more than a mile.

• Posted

I thought it might be a heel spur too, but the x-rays didn't find anything. I've been wearing inserts for about a year now (started out with Dr. Scholl's gel inserts and recently upgraded to Super feet), but it's still difficult for me to walk my dog for more than a mile.

• Posted

I tried Scholl inserts at £20 a pair but they were no good so I went to a pysio who tried heat treatment and he said try Gel heel pads that are only a couple of quid and most people find they help because they are so thick and they are for pf so I started with a couple and when they worked I got another 10 for all my other shoes which are mainly trainers or walking boots. I walk our dog for a couple of hours a day and haveno pain in the foot but the knee does start to hurt but thats a cartilege prolem due to old age. Pf is not understood very well and has many causes and I and several friends had it just after retiring so put it down to tightening of the legiments with the change of activity. Just google gel heel pads and get the blue or red ones, worth a try at only a couple of quid but they come from China so take a couple of weeks to come but worth waiting for.

• Posted

Hi Caroline

I have just replied to another post in which I said the so called experts just try one thing after another and don't really seem to know what they are doing.

Mild PF as I experienced it can start with pain getting up and then wearing off  during the day but a bad attack will be with you all time maybe for days, weeks or longer. Every attack can be different and can differ from person to person which is why it is difficult to be prescriptive about what to do.

I am a layman but it does seem a little early to resort to surgery. Suggest you try all the other things you will find on this forum like stretching, cushioning, ice rolling, taping, strong anti inflammatories, etc, unless you have already been down this route. Also suggest you get alternative opinions becuase these 'experts' opinions can be radically different.

Good luck!!

• Posted

Thanks, David. I have tried all of the recommended conservative treatments (cortisone injection, anti inflammatories, icing, stretching and strengthening, physical therapy). I recently learned about Baxter's nerve entrapment, which has symptoms nearly identical to plantar fasciitis and I am starting to wonder if I may have that instead. With an active forum like this one, I am hoping I can get some insights.

• Posted

I just saw this about Spondyloarthritis. Note the last symptom. It may be something for you to look into:

The main similarities that can occur with any type of spondyloarthritis are:

Inflammation in the pelvis and spine that usually causes inflammatory back pain

Pain and/or swelling of any other joint in the body (hips, knees, ankles, feet, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, etc).

Rapid onset of marked pain and redness in one eye at a time (uveitis/iritis)

Psoriasis skin rash

Inflammation in the intestine (Crohn’s, ulcerative colitis, undifferentiated colitis)

Inflammation along the tendons of the finger or toes (dactylitis, also called “sausage digits”)

Inflammation where tendons and ligaments meet the bone (enthesitis); this commonly occurs at the back or bottom of the heel.

• Posted

Thanks for the find, Lucy! I'm not experiencing the other symptoms you list but I appreciate you taking the time to share.

• Posted

This does not sound like Plantar Fasciitis. The fact that you are best in the morning is pretty good evidence that it is something else. I am amazed at how little physicians know about this problem ( PF ). I am also amazed that someone would consider doing surgery on something which is suspected and not certain. I am a retired physician and I know that X-Rays can't show anything other than possibly spurs which you do not have. MRI can show inflammation ( edema ) and location but not the cause. If you read the MRI report, it will say something like "possible Plantar fasciitis" among other things. Do not have surgery! BTW, what is the surgery for this uncertain problem? Will he do a procedure for PF and just hope it works for your problem which might not be PF? I suggest going through older posts on this site and finding that which works for you. There is a lot of good information on this site and you will likely find what you need to improve. I have a few posts as does docnbox among others which should be a good start. I had PF almost a year ago and cured it in about 8 weeks but I still wear the HTP heel inserts in all my shoes to prevent a recurrence. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.