Atypical tn and procedures?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have anyone with atypical TN tried nerve blocks, balloon compression or something else?

Only people with atypical one please answer.

Pills are not 100% working for me as I still have a lot of pain many days(have tried all the pills and many combinations, Neurontin so far best one) and MVA didn't work either. I am only 26 so I am really scared that my life is over now. Have suffered 8 months already. Can atypical one go to remission? How people live with that horrible diseas?!?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi iv had it every day now for 3 years.its horrible pain that you can not describe.i have not tried the nerve block sorry.

My question to you is do the neurotin help take pain away.im in the same boat as you I feel my is over soon

Thanks

• Posted

Sam I know how you feel. Do you know why your pain started? How it started? Have you tried any procedures like MVA or something else? Did doctors see anything on x-rays etc?

I had MVA and they found 3 blood vessels touching the nerve. Also I had one blood vessel broken and scar tissue on the nerve. They fixed this mess with MVA 2 months ago. Now I have better days and worse days. Neurontin is only medicine that has worked so far. I tired it before MVA also but then I was so full of medicines that I didn't understand did it help or not. Before MVA I was staying 5 weeks in hospital and they pushed different drugs in me to find something that helps, but nothing helped. Now after MVA I first ate 1400 mg Tegretol and 75 mg amitriptylin, but these didn't work at all. So I decided to try Neurontin and that has worked so far! Today I had horrible pain in day time, but then I took 1200 mg Neurontin and after a hour pain was much better!

I do feel like drug addict as I eat so many pills, but until they work I'm happy to eat them. And if I eat too many then at least overdose will get me out of this hell.

• Posted

Dona, I haven't had atypical TN but i have had TN of the 3rd cranial nerve and i know how bad the pain is. Be strong and fight. I felt the same way you did, but you need to focus on people around you when you have negative thoughts. That's how i was able to cope with each day. There are only a few surgeons who are experts in this condition and unfortunately i did not go to one so i won't recommend mine, but i have heard Dr.Mishra in India handles a lot of TN cases from all over Asia and also Dr. Adil Chagla in India. This is a rare condition and unfortunately, we have to travel far sometimes to get the proper advise and solution. I like you had tried a lot of pills as well, and the one that worked the best was Tegretol ( in hgh doses ). With Tegretol, i still had pain occur but it wasn't as frequent. Hope this helps. Good luck to you. Feel free to ask me more if you need to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.