Autoimmune Hepatitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good Evening All,

I have been recently diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis... 

I've been on Steroids for the last 6 weeks and have to take them for another 6.... On Thursday just gone I was started on one tablet a day for life... It's called Imuran... The Doctor said that this will suppress the Immune System which will dampen the attacking on my Liver & blood cells. It means now that I am open to infections and any virsuses that are going. I'm just wondering does anyone else here have the same thing and if so,I would be grateful for  any advice.

Thanks,

V.  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not in your situation and I'm sorry to hear about it but I'd just to say that you could consider using grapefruit extract and myrrh tincture to keep infections at bay. You might want to talk to your doctor first though.

I hope you find someone to talk to about it who understands.

• Posted

Hello Vera, so sorry to hear of your troubles. I do not have the same condition. However, I do have autoimmune diseases and a highly compromised immune system on top of that. I couldn't say how many infections I've had.... My infections have reduced substantially over the past decade by making adjustments to reduce my exposure to infections. Someone might think I have a germ phobia, but it's just precaution. I do not touch public door handles, wash hands frequently, etc.

• Posted

Again I have a different auto immune condition and have taken a different immunosuppressant for a long time. I take mycophenolate. If anything I get less infections now than I did before using it. I don't take any particular precautions. Good luck.

• Posted

HI Vero, I have AIH and after being on Prednesalone for 6 months weaned of this and given Azathioprine. I do not hae a scared Liver ( cerrosis ). I also do not have a spleen,not had a cold for the last year so think I do quite well re infections. Check out the facebook site for AIH and you will find alot more people not well.

Ian.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.