Average time for anxiety depression to settle on Fluoxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am day 26 on 20mg and day 9 of 40mg of Fluoxetine and my anziety is pretty huge. I also have a fuzzy, cant think properly head and terribly fatigued. Just wondering how long it took for others honestly to lessen anxiety and depression and what others are dealing with in terms of side effects...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety 😊 not anziety
    • Posted

Just some info on Fluoxetin. It has a half life of 16 days(1 pill). Its one of the longer acting antidepressants or it takes longer to be effective. Its probably more like 8 wks or longer if dosage is rt. Sometimes someone has to try many different antidepressants before they find the rt one. Some are lucky an take their first one an it's working for them in 5-6 wks. I took Fluoxetin for 6 wks an it was not for me. Made me very sick physically and mentally I was a mess. Big mess. But that doesn't mean its not for you. When u increase doses its almost like starting over. Your body has to get use to new dose. If you start having suicidal thoughts go to your Dr immediately please. Im not sayin thats going to happen but watch out for that with any antidepressant! I was on 20mg. Couldn't take it anymore. The side effects are diff for everyone. I do know many have low moods an increased anxiety (i did!)for over 6 wks. Goodluck!
    • Posted

Thank you. Not suicidal just extreamly on edge of panic constantly! Hopefully gets better than this!
    • Posted

I was on Prozac and coming off of Paxil recently and had to stop it. I started out on 10 mg for 12 days then I went to 5mg for 6 days because my nurse practitioner told me to go down and then when to stop. I don't know if I stayed at 5mg long enough because I had bad restlessness when I was the 10mg. That's when she told me to go to 5mg. Now I'm having akathesia and pacing the floor and can't sit still. The nausea is awful. I feel generally unwell today and thought I was going to vomit. Is it because it's still in my system because of the long half life? I have taken it years ago when it wasn't generic. I wonder if they changed something about it when it went generic? They're not made the same. They can put an inactive ingredient in it and it can make a difference. I had no trouble with the brand name. All generic medicines aren't the same. I have to get a certain supplier for one of my medications because I can tell the difference in the dosage.
    • Posted

I started having bad intrusive thoughts while I was taking it. I have OCD and Prozac is used for that. I thought I would scream. It was horrible!!!!i was only on it for 18 days.
  • Posted

have only taken 20 but took 2/3 months to settle & side effects to fade

took the edge of D & A enabling me to keep going @ work etc - that was 5 yrs ago and has addressed a chemical imbalance I suffered from to some extent.

v best

• Posted

Thanyou. I was wondering why i was nearly 4 weeks on the smaller dose and still no releif...because lots of people say 4 weeks. However it has been really helpful to have people say honestly it has taken a couple of months.
    • Posted

you are welcome - don't know much about meds but have friends and I guess a lot of us use them nowadays and its maybe a case of finding best fit.

good thing to bear in mind if we have had difficulties for a long time it will take a while to enjoy the benefits of treatment

- in my case it took the pressure off & it does what it says on the tin.

• Posted

Day 15 of 40mg and day 3 of 60mg.... feeling very spewy... but emotionally still feel anxious and down...but much better than last week!
  • Posted

Im on day 23 of 40mg, today i woke up feeling on edge, shaky, cant breath, heavy chest, nervous feeling......i want these meds to kick in soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.