Awaiting first appointment - advice please?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya

I visited my GP recently as my hands constantly feel tingly and stiff and painful when opening jars, bottles, buttons etc. At first they thought it may be carpal tunnel but they ordered blood tests and I got a phone call saying they had booked me urgently t see a rheumatologist as I am positive for both rheumatoid factor and anti CCP (only low level thigh, 38 for each). I do feel drained a lot but a lot of this is to do with having a 16 month old baby and working nearly full time too (I think).

I know that rheumatologists will generally try and rule it out rather than diagnose, and although my fingers hurt they are not red or greatly swollen.

Basically I'm afraid that when he examines he isn't going to find anything. They have cancelled my referral for carpal tunnel which is frustrating as in worried I will be back to square one. And if I have this anti CCP in my blood, surely that means that something is up, so if it's not RA what could it be? As I have antibodies fighting my body. :-(

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

RF should be under 14 from what I understand.

Good luck!

• Posted

I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands before seeing. Rheuatologist.  I wish I had not had the surgert now.  Pain back due to RA.
    • Posted

Sorry to gear that!  I think RA can be a factor in carpal tunnel so you might have had to have it anyway!

best of luck!

• Posted

To HEAR!  Hate spell check!
  • Posted

Hi Amy I have just read your post and wondered if you have seen your rheumy yet? My bloods are like yours. Did they put you on any meds? How are your hands?other joints now?
    • Posted

Hi Emily, I have had one appt and he said based on my results and the physical exam he has to diagnose me, and I am going on Friday for an ultrasound and to start medication hopefully. I had X-rays and bloods done again and I get those results on Friday. My hands are still constantly stiff and sore but it's my feet that now have it worse, they feel like they're burning when I walk xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.when did you first start with RA symptoms...I would love to know how your bloods are now and what medication they begin you on. Keep me posted I think I'll Be going through this soon.

• Posted

No worries I will do, whereabouts are you and how old are you? :-)
    • Posted

I'm in the UK, I'm 33 I have just had a baby ...just like you. How about you

• Posted

Hi Amy how did you get on with your bloods? Medications?
    • Posted

Hiya Emily I have put on methotrexate 25mg, hydroxychloroquine and folic acid, they did ultrasound scans of my hands and feet and 4 fingers are completely eroded at the joint and 3 toes on one of my feet, so more than they originally thought xx
    • Posted

Hi Amy I am so sorry to hear that. Did they check your CRP or ESR again?. Wishing you well take care
    • Posted

They didn't redo mine as they said not to bother with the numbers, it's obvious I have it from scans etc xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.