Awaiting FUNDIPLICATION

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had my symptoms for years long list.. Finally got the go-ahead from hospital to have FUNDIPLICATION.. I'm waiting for appointment now which is giving me a lot of anxiety and making my symptoms worse.. What I would like to know is after the op will all these symptoms go.. Like the constant phlegm, runny nose sneezing, tiredness, nausea after eating either too much or wrong thing. I'm taking 40g of esomeprazole also 300g ranitadine and copious amounts of gaviscon to prevent and ease symptoms.. Roll on operation..

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ugh I feel your pain. I have always been scared of operations etc. never been put to sleep. This is awful! If it will work, I would do it in a heartbeat!
  • Posted

I was first offered a fundoplication in 1997 and turned it down. (It would have been open surgery and i was scared.)

The succeeding years saw increasing symptoms of the sort you describe and more. My omeprazole was increased to very high 80mg a day but did nothing to combat the symptoms. Instead the induced hypochlorhydria made me anaemic. In addition to the PPI, domperidone, etc. I was taking iron tablets and had no energy. I couldn't even walk 50 yards down the road without getting breathless.

In desperation, I asked for a fundoplication.

It was the best thing I ever did. Following my operation, the symptoms all went away (well about 90% - I still get a slight cough occasionally) and I was off all medication. Within a few weeks, i was cycling 30 miles a day before breakfast.

If you wish to read my blog, you may visit my personal website www chrisrob co uk. My "Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication operation" blog is item 7 from the menu at the top of my Barrett's page.

All the best,

Chris

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for your reply.. I don't think I have been suffering as much as some people's stories I have read but it's gone on long enough.. As a baby I used to bring up alk my feed with a burp.. I wasn't a poorly or skinny kid thank goodness.. Then as I child and into teenage yearsI remember sitting up most nights feeling extremely nauseous.. then when I moved to UK I wouldn't go anywhere without my bottle of bicarbonate soda and water.. About 10 years ish ago I got pains in my chest and permanently had annoying cough I had xrays which were clear then and endoscopy which told doc what was wrong.. Reflux.. Also back then I had tiny ulcers like size you would get on your tongue and gastritis.. I was on omeprazole for 10 years and recently changed to Nexium.. And insisted on FUNDIPLICATION.. I had another endoscopy, which now showing HH small sliding.. Gastritis.. Also u had the 24hr PH test and manomatory.. Looking at the results the hospital suggested I have the op.. I'm now waiting for funding from NHS.. And then appointment..
    • Posted

Good luck. it can take time because the operation is labelled as "elective" rather than "emergency" or "essential" - so comes way down the surgeons' lists of priorities. Your supposed to be seen within 18 week but you may have to phone the surgeon's secretary if you don't hear, and nag a bit smile

• Posted

I've never heard of this surgery until you mentioned it. I looked it up and it did say it's possible for some symptoms to return I would say your best bet in treating the reflux is to watch what you eat. This will get rid of the phlegm runny nose symptoms etc and in time you should not need medication although most ppis don't work anyway.

Have a look at dr kaufmans acid reflux book

• Posted

The acid can be helped yes but it won't help everything I eat and drink refluxing.. Just this evening I had a cup of tea and burped it back up after an hour.. my hiatus hernia prevents the valve to my stomach from closing.. And the phlegm according to the consultant is neutralised acid.. Diet change isn't working..
    • Posted

Tea is a pretty big trigger though.. Have you looked at dr kaufmans acid reflux recipe book? It's got everything you can and can't eat and the biggest triggers although it depends on the person what triggers are. Hopefully the surgery helps but surely you'll still have to be careful what you eat. If your only eating alkaline foods then it shouldn't reflux. I also have a hiatal hernia. It's also about not eating after 7pm and 4 hours before bed etc so nighttime reflux isn't a problem and gaviscon before bed to help reflux
  • Posted

I do not recommend anyone spending money on Jamie Kauffman's Dropping Acid book. It contains some very questionable advice, some of which may actually be dangerous. Unfortunately, for all the good she may have done in promoting awareness of reflux, she now seems more commercially motivated to make money from her books.

If you want a book of recipes that have been found to be beneficial to those suffering from reflux of acid, you can download the free Cool Food book from the downloads page (below the LINKS tab) on the www BarrettsWessex org uk site.

But the "definitive encyclopaedia" about acid and reflux and its management is the free and to be found here: www DownWithAcid org uk

• Posted

I have no problems with drinking tea.. Coffee I've had to stop tho.. I'm looking forward to getting back to drinking it after op.. As far as u can see from alk the reading up on reflux and HH everyone is different.. Different foods effect people in different ways..

I don't like spicy foods so it's easy staying clear of them.. Most of my diet I would class as bland anyway.. I have been sleeping with a V shaped pillow for a couple of years so sitting up in bed.. I'm also looking forward to ditching that..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.