Awake all night, asleep during day, and depressed. How do I fix this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. So for months now I've been struggling with a terrible sleep schedule. Usually I am awake until 3-4am and will sleep, telling myself to wake up at 8am to fix my schedule, and I end up up at 1-2pm. I feel tired and exhausted when I do, and still feel like I need more sleep. I believe I've been struggling with Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder and its affecting my quality of life. My problem is I cant force myself to sleep earlier because it wont work, ill end up laying there awake until 3am and then waking up on and off all the time after I do sleep, then unable to wake up in the morning. I want to be on a schedule to sleep at 12am and wake up at 8am but i just dont know how to get myself there. Waking myself up earlier is near impossible. I dont work or have school so i have no reason that forces me up at 8. I need help. Its depriving my quality of life and i want it fixed. Ive considered staying up all night to reset my clock but I just want opinions and help from others who maybe have overcome this problem as well. Thank you.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sleepylady,

Staying up all night and day might work to reset your sleep cycle.

But if you want something less drastic, you could also try slowly moving back your bedtime. So if you struggle to fall asleep until 3am, put yourself to bed at 2:30 am. Then move it back by 30 minutes every few days or so. And be sure to get up 8 hours after your bedtime, whatever it may be. Also, try taking 3 mg of melotonin at your bedtime.

In addition, watch your caffeine intake. You should take no caffeine within 8 hours before bedtime. Also, if you are lying wide awake for more than 30 minutes, get out of bed and read a book or something. Lying in bed being anxious over not falling asleep will turn bed into a scary place, when it should be a relaxing place.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi I tried going to bed at 10-30 pm woke at 2 3 4 etc. tried going to bed 12 that helped but still woke up a couple of times. I cannot switch OFF my brain go`s into overdrive  . Tried 2 weeks without any wine still no good. resist sleeping tablets. Need help also. Keep posting share experiences
  • Posted

I went to my GP yesterday because I have had the same problem for a bout a year. Google "Sleep Hygene" you will find some very sound and informative advice on what to do to help the situation. I am starting today and hopefully it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.