Awful day Afib is getting me down.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Woke up tired and panicky and it seems to have gone on all day.Still early days and not been on medss for long ,its so frustrating , everything i try to do is an effort, and am so breathless is that normal.Hate the effort of it all have always been very active now it all takes a time to do tha simplest of things.Hate going to bed thats why am on laptop now takes my mind of the elephant in the room .April

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hang in there April.  Afib is managable and treatable.  Get a good cardio doc who can advise you on your treatment.  You can get this under control with the right meds and possibly surgery.  Your doctor will guide you -- and if he/she doesn't  -- find one who will!!  Suzanne

• Posted

You are so normal for what u r going through, but I know that doesn't help much. Just know that u have a lot of people who understand and have been and are going through the same thing. Take lots of deep breaths and turn on some music to drown out your heartbeat. Watch a comedy on tv. Call your doctor and get reassurance. Thinking and praying for u tonight.

The meds will kick in. Make sure they are taken on time. Keep occupied w things u love.

• Posted

It can be a bit overwhelming at first. Although Afib can vary a bit from person to person, your symptoms and feelings sound fairly typical.

The main thing with these symptoms is to make sure your heart rate is not going too high.

I had no symptoms when I went into permanent AF, until I started to go downhill. After about 10 days of feel crappy (thought I had the flu or some other nasty virus) it got to the point where I couldn't walk 20 metres without stopping to rest and catch my breath; not good for an otherwise healthy 48 yo male.

It was at this point  that my wife told me I was looking 'grey' and called an ambulance to me. Paramedics did a quick ECG printout and said something was abnormal with my heart; strange beats, rate varying between 120-180, so was admitted to hospital for 4 days whilst tests were done and diagnosis made.

Cardiologist suspected that I had been in AF for several weeks with an uncontrolled heart rate which in turn caused my left ventricle to become s verily enlarged(AKA a severe cardiomyopathy) which in turn caused it to very poorly pump oxygenated blood around my body, which in turn made me feel crappy and lethargic(flu or virus type symptoms).

Twenty months on, and 5 cardioversions and an ablation later, life is good again. Have lost 15 kgs, left ventricle has shrunk back down to normal size and has an ejection fraction of 63% (was 25% when I was first admitted; below 30% is considered severe),I exercise regularly and have made other lifestyle changes to address the list of AF 'risk factors'.

After much googling and reading at lot of research about AF, I realised that there was quite a bit that I could do to help myself deal with this issue and give myself the best possible chance of recovery, rather than just sit around with a 'poor me', victim type attitude (which is perfectly understandable at first, as this is a pretty big deal for anyone to have to come to terms with).

I strongly recommend getting a blood pressure machine(preferably one that has an AF function on it; assuming that you're going to cardioverted back into sinus rhythm) to make sure your heart rate doesn't get out of control.

There is a lot lot of info out there April. Good luck with it all, it generally isn't a life sentence if you take control, get a good cardiologist/Electrophysiologist and make the necessary lifestyle changes(if you need to).

I have found that there is lots of good info and helpful people on this forum.

Kind regards,

Simon

• Posted

I hear you April. I always get this feeling that when Afib occurs, that I have no control, and I wonder why in the heck is this happening, why would my heart want to do this? Why would my heart choose to act like this, wouldn't it just be easier to beat regularly? Well, clearly something is wrong, and the heart is probably responding in the best way it can. The heart needs some help. It sounds like its either medication or ablation. Those seem to be the options. Are you on meds now? How long have you been dealing with Afib? Are you considering ablation?

• Posted

I am going through the same thing you are April, was just diagnosed with AfIB 3 weeks ago and started me on meds 2 weeks ago. Still panicky and weak and tired. My cardiologist said it take s time for my body to adjust, I hope hes right because it worries me. These groups do help, I have read that it will get better we just need to hang in there a bit longer.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Sherry , Thank you for your reply.Lets keep in touch as we are both at the same stage of this horrible thing. I have always suffered with anxiety so it makes it worse when you cant relax,nightime is the worse when all is quiet.I am going to doctors again this week as dont think the tablets i am on are helping at all.. Do you get breathless when you go upstairs?Kind regards April
    • Posted

Yes, I have always been active, now since this has happened I really dont do anything. I get tired just folding cloths.I walk up stairs and I am done. Every one keeps telling me it will get better .I am hoping soon. The anxiety for me is horrible as well. I havent slept well at all. Driving me crazy. I go back Thursday to see the cardiologist again. I would like to keep in touch, makes me feel better that im not alone.Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Sherry you have described eaxactly how i am now.Have had some pretty low days although i know its early days. please keep in touch at anytime you feel you want to chat about anything . April
    • Posted

Yes April, very low days. It gets me so down all I want to do is lay around.I just want to go and do things and seem like I cannot. Its hard, because I feel like I am so stressed out with this. Hope it gets itself together . I hope you start to feel better as well. We just need to hang in there, and it should get better is what I'm told. I'm glad We met. Keep in touch any time

• Posted

Hello Sherry , I hope all goes well with the cardiologist today , let me know how you get on when you have a minute , regards April
    • Posted

Hi Sherry , Hope you ok , how is life treating you ,Have not been at all well over past week keep going back to docs but worried they may think am making a nuisance of myself. keep in touch April
    • Posted

Hi April, don't feel bad, I switched drs today. The others told me I need a therapist. I guess I was bothering them to much. The Dr today was great and explained to me that I had a lot of anxiety and the meds needed to be increased. The anxiety is a terrible thing. It keeps me sick. My nerves have taken over.I am hopeing that things look up. Hope you feel better and don't feel like a newsince. We need help and they should help us. Keep me posted. Talk to you soon Sheerry

• Posted

Hi Sherry, Sorry for late reply , have been feeling so ill these last few days , have got new tablets from the doctor so i am praying they make me feel better. My anxiety is very high at the moment and i am very emotional at the slightest little thing on top of that not sleeping much and it all seems one big mess.How are you getting on with your meds have you increased them yet.April
    • Posted

They increased my meds but I'm not seeing a difference yet. Still feel ill, no sleep. This anxiety is horrible. I hope your new meds work for you.We all need some relief.hope that happens for us soon. I haven't even went anywhere besides Doctors. I am usually a energetic person but not now. Stay in bed most of the time. Let me know how your meds work. Good luck, keep in touch.Sherry

• Posted

Hows it going ?Have you had any joy with your meds?Am still not sure if my new meds is making a difference as so anxious and panicky, Had a bit of a scare the other evening , felt very sick and when i was it was all blood so am wary of taking blood thinners now.Also feet and ankles were swollen yesterday.Would love to turn the clock back a few weeks and be my old self as im sure you would, we takeour health for granted .I like you cant be bothere to go out as am losing my confidence so most of day is just indoors.April
    • Posted

Hi April, no I am not having no joy from my meds at all, having a bad day today. Just can't get myself together. They say meds will kick in soon well I hope so because this is driving me nuts. Hope you feel better .Sherry

• Posted

Hi April, no I am not having no joy from my meds at all, having a bad day today. Just can't get myself together. They say meds will kick in soon well I hope so because this is driving me nuts. Hope you feel better .Sherry

• Posted

Hi Sherry , hope you are feeling better?Hasnt the hot weather been awful made breathing very difficult. Have had my meds uped and now feel very sick so eating is very difficult. Have been refered to a cardiology nurse as am not dealingwith all this and like you my anxiety is through the roof.Its a very big adjustment to what was quite a normal life.Write when you feel able April
    • Posted

hi Sherry how are things going for you. Ive had some awful days , have been on wrong meds and now my feet and legs are all swollen,April
    • Posted

Hi April. Sorry I haven't got back to you .have been sick. Just got put of hospital and had the worse time. Went and did the ablation so now wait and see. How are you doing ?hope well .keep in touch

Sherry

• Posted

Hi Sherry, So pleased to hear from you and hope you are coping better now. Do tell me whats been happening to you since we last spoke , what was it like in hospital and how long were you in for.I am a bit better now am on the right meds but it has been a real struggle. I am seeing a brilliant arythmia nurse who is very good at her job she even phoned me  on her day of. Have lost a lot of weight since this all started ans sleeping is a real problem so often have a nap during the day,do keep in touch as was lovely to hear from you am not looking forward to the winter months so it will be good to keep up the messages in the future. Kind regards April
    • Posted

Hi Sherry , How are you keeping now would love to hear from you regards April

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.