awful feelings through my body on bisopropol

Posted , 7 users are following.

On Bisoprolol for a few weeks now and am getting awful feelings of dread throughout my body. Although it's a small dose 1.25mg it is horrendous. Anyone else having similar issues?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

All I will say about Bisoprolol is it is poison. I was also on small dose. It is about time that Drug companies tried to produce BP meds that everyone can tolerate. I feel for you
    • Posted

Thanks I don't seem able to tolerate any of these drugs
    • Posted

Nor me. The worst ones are those that you think are not affecting you but are slowly in the long term.
  • Posted

I was on Bisoprolol 6 years ago 5mg took a couple of months for body to aclimatise to it and 3 months to come off it.

Didn't feel too bad just slowed down my heart and anxiety levels

• Posted

Steve, what exactly do you mean by "feelings of dread throughout my body"? Can you explain it more?  Most side effects I've had from many different BP pills over the last couple of years have been more tangible ones, such as swollen ankles, diarrhoea, nausea, urgency, sleeplessness and blood tests showing worsening kidney function.  Unfortunately, I think many of us are unable to tolerate many BP meds, whilst I know many people who can take them without problems.

I have found Losartan Potassium 50mg which I have been on for about a year to cause the least side effects but unfortunately it isn't lowering my blood pressure, so 1.25mg Bisoprolol  was added about 6 weeks ago with a view to the dose being gradually increased.  I did experience some ankle swelling at first and inflamed skin around the ankle area; however the swelling has now subsided and may have coincided with the very hot weather a few weeks ago.  Still have the red inflamed skin which is something that started when on Amlodipine for a couple of months over a year ago so I guess it's now being aggravated by the Bisoprolol.  About to have another blood test and will see the GP next week.  But so far, I seem to be having less trouble than on all other BP pills.  

• Posted

It seems whatever we take for BP causes some reaction to the body. Even if more tangible. Our BP might lower but other parts of the body suffer as a result. Still not good.
    • Posted

Yes, of course, Mo - any BP medication will "cause some reaction" by/in the body, whether noticeable or not.  That is what it is designed to do.  After all those of us with very high blood pressure obviously have some physiological problem going on in the body which needs adjusting to keep us safe.  Some people are lucky in that their bodies respond to the BP meds without experiencing any problems - my elderly neighbour is just one such person I know......she is 94 years old and has been taking both blood pressure and statin medication for more than 30 years and remained active, very fit and problem-free throughout.  
    • Posted

"Different" yes, Mo, or, in the words of my renal consultant who is handling my blood pressure together with my GP, "an awkward patient"!!!  I pointed out it wasn't me that was being awkward but my body!
    • Posted

I had a GP who said that he only knew one person more sensitive to medications and side effects than me and that was his wife:-)
    • Posted

At least he believed you. Some seem to think it is all in your mind !!! Thankfully I think it is getting through nowadays though
    • Posted

It's like a feeling of death washing over your body. It seems to start in my stomach and goes in waves over my head for hours at a time.
    • Posted

I have been seeing a renal consultant at a hypertension centre.

He has a theory that I do not really have hypertension just spikes in my BP so that is why all the meds give me bad reactions.

I take my 50mg Losartan at night. He may well be right, first thing this morning my average of three readings was 171/109 84. Just now it is 130/77 78 and by evening will be lower.

Quite a strenuous morning, I stripped the beds, turned the mattresses and made the beds and have done two loads of washing. 

• Posted

Well if you aren't taking any other medication and you've only been feeling like this since starting Bisoprolol, then it obviously isn't for you and the sooner you are off it the better by the sound of it.  There are many other varieties of BP pill to try, Steve - Losartan Potassium is the one my pharmacist said he hears the least complaints about from patients, so worth asking for perhaps?
    • Posted

If that last BP reading was AFTER all that domesticity, then it sounds as though you've found the answer!!wink
    • Posted

I've hoovered some carpets since then. Exercise usually brings it down but is that good or because of my tachy bradcardia?? When I get my pacemaker on Friday I will see what happens after that.

However their theory may be to give me a pacemaker to put my heart rate up after they prescribe even more bisoprolol for AF that would normaly put it into the 36/42 range. 

• Posted

Not looking forward to it. Sounds even worse than going to the dentist but free:-) The consent form makes it sound more dangerous than my heart valve replacement and at least I slept through that.

• Posted

Having to sign those consent forms gives me the heebie-jeebies.  I remember once waiting outside theatre to go in for an angiogram.   Wasn't expecting a consent form to be put in front of me to sign so asked the surgeon what I was signing for.  He replied that sometimes things can go wrong!!  Shocked, I said "well if it does I hope you can get in there and put it right"!

You'll be fine on Friday, Derek, if my hubby's experience was anything to go by.  And my next-door neighbour was in and out the same day.  They did keep hubby in overnight, possibly to do with having been taken in by blues and twos after he collapsed on the bathroom floor in the early hours.

• Posted

First time I had an angiogram the porter wheeled me down the corridor and left me in a little ante room.

I almost passed out in a vaso vagal incident or blue funk. The doctor came out and I told him but it did not put him off. Next thing the needle was in my groin.

"Vasovagal syncope is one of the most common causes of fainting. Vasovagal syncope occurs when your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress"

• Posted

It's fear of the unknown with any first-time procedure isn't it.  Some people have regular angiograms and think nothing of it.
    • Posted

The second one would have been OK if he (unsupervised) had known what he was doing.

It took 50 minutes and he kept on asking the nurse for other sizes of catheters from another Lab. When he could not get one round one the final artery he asked the nurse if she would do it. NO Way, she replied He ended up stopping then and said from what I can see it looked all right. This was the Guy who then went on holiday for a month and did not refer me on for my heart valve replacement.

When I complained to his chief he said that hewas still going through a learning process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.