B12 deficiency causes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed with a vitamin b12 deficiency (level was 148) however my new gp has pointed out that this came up on 2 previous blood tests spanning 10 years with the first showing a reading of 68. My old gp ignored this despite the reason for the tests being done were me having hundreds of mouth ulcers & feeling exhausted.

My diet contains more than enough b12 so I've had another blood test for (I'm a little unsure of this bit) gastric antibodies & intrinsic factor antibodies? Gastric one was negative so the lab didn't bother with the intrinsic factor one as it's expensive apparently (thanks NHS!!!) I start having injections next week but would really like to know what's causing it. I do have symptoms (ulcers / tiredness / palpitations) but the reason for me actually visiting the doctor recently was because I've been suffering with Molluscum Contagiosum for almost 2 years & just cannot seem to shake it.

Should I be pushing to find out what's causing the deficiency? And can having this cause issues like not being able to fight off this viral rash Molluscum?

My IgA level also came back high but my gp has ignored this is that right?

Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 68 was extremely low! Please go to the pernicious anemia society website. Check out the symptoms as ive not heard of the one you are asking about. PA is crafty it masks itself behind symptoms for many other conditions. There is a phone number where you can contact them as well, ive not used it myself but have heard from other sufferers that they are Very helpful.
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa, I'll check that out. 68 is extremely low, I'm quite angry that it was left at the time. I'd spent 5 days in hospital very unwell & that reading was completely ignored! I was 23 at the time, I dread to think what could have happened if I'd had children in those 10 years.
  • Posted

Lynsey - so sorry you've battled this for a decade! So glad you're getting some help now, at least...  And, yes, I do believe you should be pushing for more answers.

In the best case scenario you merely have low B12 (enough all on it's own, I'm afraid) but let's say there's something else, perhaps PA, perhaps Coeliac Disease or other underlying issues. Jabs and oral B12 will go a very long way, but if there's more to your particular story, it still won't be enough.  Auto-immune disorders tend to come in multiples for some, and if your body IS fighting itself, it's not going to be effective at clearing up other issues, like your rash. Your elevated IgA level supports this, so your instinct seems to be correct to question the results.

Since you've had this for so many years already, I'd say you don't need to continue waiting while you have treatments.  I wish you luck!! Please let us know how you get on!  And...enjoy the B12 - you will start to feel better in weeks if not sooner!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.