B12 result help needed :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Need some help please...

I've been on ferrous fumarate for iron deficiency anaemia for last 3 months and doctor says my results are improving (hemoglobin has reached normal and ferritin has went from 1 to 12)

My symptoms were continuing so I was tested for B12 deficiency and got result today. B12 result came back as 276. The doctor left a message to say continue with iron for 3 months and that was it! I am really down as I don't know whether the iron will up my B12 or not? I don't know if this means my B12 is on the up? I phoned to speak to doc but have to wait until Friday. I was holding it together but I am so fed up with how I feel. Personally I think this has something to do with how I feel but the doc doesn't seem to quite relaxed in their attitude. I'm so confused, should I get a b12 supplement to help me? Can anyone help please? X

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi marybeth,, so sorry to hear you are having problems with your health. In this country they feel that any result over 200 is OK for B12. If only it were that simple.

If you are continuing to have problems with how you are feeling I suggest you visit the Pernicious Anaemia Society website. There is lots of information on there, including a symptoms list, which you can print out, and tick all that apply to you. Perhaps if you gave this to your doctor they might see that the actual blood serum result isn't the only answer. The recommendations are that symptoms should always be taken into account, even if the blood serum looks OK.

It is possible to supplement B12, using nasal or sublingual sprays, or tablets that dissolve under the tongue. Don't try ordinary tablets as the problem of absorbing B12 is usually in the digestive system. Bear in mind that once you start supplementing it will mess up any future blood test results. So if you want to get a confirmed diagnosis of Low B12, it must be from a blood test prior to supplementing. It is possible for your doctor to test MMA and homocystine levels, which will also indicate a B12 issue. Good luck with getting your health sorted. Marion

• Posted

Hi

I've had a look at the website and it has a lot of info that I shall carefully read through. I don't think my doc will do any further tests, it was a struggle to even get b12 and iron levels checked sad x

• Posted

Are you having B12 injections or pills, if not they are totally different to Iron pills?
    • Posted

Hi, I am on 210mg ferrous fumarate 3 times a day for the iron deficiency and that is it. This is what is confusing me.. I don't know if these tablets will help with the B12. Doc doesn't seem to think b12 level of 276 needs any treatment x
    • Posted

Do you have gut problems Are you on Proton pup inhibitors like Esomeprazole ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.