Back brace and Schroth Method

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi There,

My daugher is 12 years old and I notced that she had scoliosis around the age of 8 years of age (When she leant forward one day). (It's not that noticeable when she stands straight, only when she is bending/leaning forward). Anyway, after reading and listening to all the different stories in regards to having an operation to correct the curve. It seems 'hit and miss' (Screws getting loose and constant pain afterwards).

Has anybody tried the 'SCHROTH METHOD'? I purchased a book online at the begiining of this year and my daugher also wears a back brace (Custom made from local hospital). She does the exercise and alternates with pyhsio (Programme/Sheet of paper from the hospital). If anybody has done / or is doing the 'Schroth Method', has this been effective? My daughter said that she would rather do the exercise everyday, than have an operation.

Also, it seems that most scoliosis or similar diagnosed patients are rather

'sporty' and  'active'.  Thumbs up!!!! My daughter loves sport!

Please advise on any physio / Schroth?

Many thanks in advance

Worried and confused mum!!!!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Doing exercises every day is a big commitment for an 12  year old to make. She may have a different opinion as she gets older. I did look into the Scroth Method but my curve was too big for it to make a difference not only physically but mentally. Also the moves need to be guided by someone who is trained as I believe you can do more damage if they are done incorrectly or may not have any impact on the desired effect.  There is pain after the operation as it is a big op, this goes over time. By five weeks you feel a whole heap better, the first two weeks are tough.  I am almost pain free, as I know how much I can and can't do now, in terms of bending and stretching, I am  7months on. You  will need to take into account how big the curve is and could it get worse as your daughter ages. Assuming your  daughter is  being monitored this should be picked up by your cosultant. They do have rods that are adjustable now for a growing people that still alllows them to do sports.It is adjusted outside of the body by some kind of monitor that stretches the rod inside. Physio is generally to stop the spine getting stiff .  I have read on this site people who a year on have taken up sports again,

40/ 50 degree curve  and more would be considered operable. 

You will make the right decision with your daughter and the consultant  so don't worry. Hope this helps and best wishes. 

• Posted

In regards to the Scroth Method, I can't say that I have ever tried it, but I agree with Jay in that it is a big commitment to make, especially for someone as young as 12 - but I do have experience with the surgery.

You desribe the surgery as 'hit and miss', and you have also named a few of the possible complications, and whilst yes, they do sound scary, they are EXTREMELY rare. Pain after any surgery is to be expected, but chronic pain constantly is, again, very rare and unlikely. Methods and surgeons are advancing every day and making strides to reduce the possible complications involved in SFS, and by the sound of it your daughter doesn't specifically need the surgery yet, so perhaps it will never come to that, or maybe if it ever does, the operation will be safer. I know that no operation is ever safe, but sometimes they are necessary.

Myself, I had the surgery and I have never regretted it for one moment; I am so much more comfortable, both physically and mentally than I could ever have hoped to be without the surgery, and so I do recommend that you listen to your doctor - if he/she suggests surgery as a recommendation, then please do consider it.

I am happy to answer and questions that your daughter or yourself has - feel free to get in contact.

Izzie x

• Posted

Dear Izzie, You have reassured my daughter and I. 

I will speak to my consultant and move forward with the operation.

• Posted

I really would just like to push the point across, that this operation is big. It is no easy feat and should not be undertaken lightly, meaning unless it is necessary I really would advise trying the other routes first - if your daughter's curve is over 50' then it is definitely something to consider, but under 40' then I would definitely be the advocate waiting, perhaps continuing with a brace and seeing if her curve progresses.

Spinal Fusion Surgery is a last resort, please consider it as so!

I am more than happy to answer any questions that you may have, either about Scolio as a whole or the operation specifically - feel free to message me smile

Izzie

• Posted

Hi Izzie

My daughter has a 90' curve and her doctor/consultant advised me that it will get worse as she gets older. She had the operation last week. Fused spine and is recovering.

Thank you for your advise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.