back of knee really red from icing

Posted , 2 users are following.

so im 36 days post op and have been icing every day for most of the day as Dr directed on back of my knee.but the back of my knee would start to feel itchy and got red but would go away but today after not icing for much I iced it and I use a paper towel between the ice and it's in a plastic bag but back of my knee is reaaaaally red and doesn't look right.what should I do? I can't not nice because of swelling though

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey Nemo,

I'd lay off the ice until tomorrow morning. Then use a kitchen towel in between. Uf it still happens, shorten how long you ice each time is my advice. I hope it gets better!

• Posted

yeah it looks pretty bad lol it's almost purple actually. which is weird because i really haven't iced it anymore than what i've been told to. i think ill try icing lower on my calf closer to my ankle until it clears up.thanks kaliana youre great as always!
    • Posted

Yeah it sounds like some frostburn. I only ice once daily now but still elevate it a lot. My foot barely has any swelling though. I hope it gets better for you Nemo!
    • Posted

thanks kaliana! I probably don't need to ice as much as I was.I was icing almost 24/7 but now that I'm almost 6 weeks I feel fine not icing all day but I do stay elevated so it isn't giving me pain.the compression sick seems go help too.the swelling is mainly just my toes is all.
  • Posted

Memo

suggest you leave off the ice, and put your put in a container of very cold/iced water for 10 mins at a time, then dry & massage with oil afterwards.

it sound like you're giving yourself frost burn.

how are the exercises going? And when will you be allowed to walk

caroline

• Posted

thanks for tips Caroline helpful as always! I have out coconut oil on the burn and kept the ice down closer to my foot and am not icing as much.the exercises have helped my ankle tons before I could hardly move it and now it only slightly favors the right side but I can move it where I want it more.I haven't done big toe stretches yet as my incision has been bothering me there but I start PT next Thursday so I am not too worries they will help me with that.how are you doing?
    • Posted

Nemo

nearly 11 months on, and I'm getting there, I think. 

Becuase our bones have been 'rearranged' it's still painful first thing in the morning, so feet out, move up and down several times as if you're running, then move and I'm fine.

but, because of the op, I'm fitter than before, walking further over the weekends and pushing the exercises.

Also, at this stage it's easy to forget about what happened and revert back to 'before op' and laze the time away.

in some moments I sieze up, and find it hard to move, but I blame that onto the op rather than my age (61) well, I'm not that old yet -am I 😆

The feet, slimmer by 2cm (in circumference) are fine, hardly any swelling now, just aches and pains, and the odd mega big OUCH during the night.

at your age you'll be fine though.

but at stage, I'm really pleased that I've had the op, 5 months ago - not happy about it at all.

time, patience and a good memory, and you'll be fine.

caroline

x

• Posted

I'm glad to hear you're happy about the op now! I really don't have much pain now JTS more discomfort and feelings of foot being asleep which seems to relate to the swelling.as well as incision stoning but JTS still healing.Wednesday I see my Dr for 6 week check up and get xrays for first time since week 2! I hope all looks great and I can walk soon.I just want to lose the boot.I feel like I can handle anything once the boot is gone.I have been able to sleep on my side at night which helps so much as my back was hurting me bad before.I dkmr get pain at night as I keep it elevated but sometimes I wake up because it isn't on the pillow elevated and feels tknfly but once it's back up its good.I'm nervous to begin shifting weight in my boot.how does that work?
    • Posted

I've gone for three short walks in my sneakers this weekend. It feels great being out of the boot! You'll be soon too Nemo!
    • Posted

Thanknyou so much Nemo! And vice versa. I hope the back of your knee is feeling better today!
    • Posted

I'm having no pain on the back of my knee which based off what ice read might not be great actually.it being numb may mean its some some damage.but my skin is still soft and doesn't feel different it just is really dark reddish purple.I'm hoping coconut pol will be enough.hope I didn't mess it uprolleyes
    • Posted

its been about the same but my dr said today it might take a few months since the tissue is already dead it just needs to lose the color.he wasnt too worried so neither am i ha just glad it wasnt on the foot!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.