Back on it....

Posted , 2 users are following.

Lots of stuff has happened over the past 18 months - left my job to early retirement/semi-retirement, moved house, my son has got the job he wanted and moved on, and more.  I came off cipralex about a year ago, why I don't know because this stuff had either happpened,was happening or about to. But I felt good at the time and positive to have got off it after some years.  Well, what a bomb shell these past few weeks. Everything's suddenly, it seems, back and I've been struggling.  I finally decided to go to the doc's yesterday.  So here we go again with an opening 5mg dose. I have experienced side effects before, all of which pass (so don't anyone be put off!), so it's pretty daunting just now. Wish me luck.  Just to add that in hind sight coming off last year mid-stuff maybe wasn't the wisest of moves.  The lesson? Look ahead and not just at how you're feeling at the present. Realise reactions can come out months down the line.  Look ahead! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Love your post Ian......especially the enthusiastic paragraph at the end of your post, it gave me hope.....thank you for that. As I am completing week 3 on Cipralex and still not feeling better and many sides from this med to add on to my anxiety. Wanted to quit this week. Can't deal much longer with morning agitation, heart racing and palpitations. But Doc told me to keep on going and all the above will go away. I hope so. Are you starting to feel better since your back on it.....
    • Posted

Hi Damom. Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear you're going through it at the moment.  I'm having a few preliminary side effects, mainly the headache I've had on previous occasions.  They do pass and this med has helped me before. So stick with it...!  Regarding the anxiety have you tried looking into Mindfullness exercises/therapy/meditation. I'm also practising ACT (Acceptance and Committment Therapy) exercises - very good self-help book "The Happiness Trap".  Both disciplines are, amongst other things, about accepting and even exploring the bad emotions instead of battling them and trying to rid yourself of them. Counter-intuitive I know but there is a logic there as exlained in the various books! They've helped me. (I'm not a professional medic or psychologist).  I am feeling slightly better, which is quicker than the last time(s). Everyone reacts to the drug in their own time, so again, stick with it as the Doc advises. Keep it going and Good luck.
    • Posted

Good Morning Ian,

Thanks so much for your amazing informative post. I appreciate all your advice and suggestions. Will definitely follow up on Mindfulness exercise, have had an interest in this for quite some time, but haven't taken myself there yet. I am now starting week 4 and Doc wants me to go from 10 to 20. I am a little hesitant to do this as I am scared to think if I have these sides now, what am I going to expect on 20. Because I haven't been feeling any good symptoms yet from this medication I feel I am losing hope. The sides are annoying and hard to handle on a daily basis. Especially when I relax and am still, that is when they are at their most powerful. When I am at work and busy, don't feel the sides as much. But, I do want to relax and enjoy the stillness at one point, lol......Now the latest side is the heart races here and there and it is very worrisome to me. The shakes are there periodically, not as bad as last week. Anyhow, how are you doing Ian ? Any good news to share about your Cipralex journey ?

• Posted

Hi Damom.  I went from 10 to 20mg 18 months ago (before I came off). The side effects weren't at all bad.  I'd been on 10mg for a while so maybe the body had adjusted.  Go with what the doc advises, especially as you're going through it anyway!!  You'll get there.  I can say that for me, at that time, 20mg was a lot better than 10mg.  Take a look at the ACT book as well.   It's very interesting. If activity helps you then plan to go to the gym, or go for a walk or write blogs such as this.  Excersise is known to relieve stress.  Don't sit and stew... Don't sit and go "internal".

I'm on day 5 of 5mg and feeling crrrrap! Especially in the morning.  I've done this before though and know it will pass.  As your tremours are less this week then that's a good sign. Stick with it!

• Posted

Thanks Ian for your advice and support. And amazing enthusiasm from you which I am lacking these days, so thanks for that, it helped alot. As for exercise, I am a fitness finatic, always have been my whole life, so no issues there. I work out 3 - 4 times a week at the gym. And even when I am not at the gym I have always been and still are a very active on the go girl. And oh yes love the after affects of exercise.....hopefully your crapiness is short-lived......keep you posted....Damom
    • Posted

Thanks Damom.  I'm not feeling enthusiastic!! Keep me posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.