Back on the wagon:(

Posted , 9 users are following.

I posted a few months ago with regards being codiene dependant , and I got so much help from here from jayd and others , who day to day really did support me ..

I went cold turkey method for about 2 days and gave in ..

I then tried to taper off , being so determined , then about a week in , and only on about 6 , 8mg cocodamol a day from approx 30 daily easily , I got a sore back and my doctor prescribed me codiene phosphate 30mg and a big bumper pack of cocodamol 30mg too. Well I just caved ..

I'm so gutted with my self I really am ,

Iv probably taken approx 130 in 2 weeks 30mg tablets ..

And only have about 30 odd left .. I've cut my nightly intake in half tonight so hoping to drop down again per day per one tablet less .. Will I ever be able to give up this warm fuzzy feeling , and without replacing it with alcohol or something else. ?.. Feeling really depressed here and down .. Also I find I am really finding it hard to take deep breaths lately , not sure if it's an effect from taking all these tablets for the past 7 years now every day .. I struggle to get a deep breath in till Iv taken a good few and then it will go away .. Or perhaps it's just anxiety too .. I'm not sure either way I feel gutted.. Sorry for the rant , and I had hoped to message better news than this a few months on since my last reply ...

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lyndsey yout chest pain and breathing is caused by taking too much codeine , it's one of the side effects of over dosing . I know what it's like to be in pain but it sounded like you were doing really well especially going clean cold turkey . We all want that warm fuzzy feeling but I know it's hard belive me

I've been where u r wanting something to take the pain away . I don't know your story but does your doctor know ? If so why prescribe you all them meds. i hope tonight goes well cutting your dose in half tonight goes well. If you want to chat anytime give us a message . Take care

• Posted

The shortness of breath sounds very dangerous, I think max diagnosis is correct. I've spoken with max a lot over the last year comparing notes on what it feels like to quit (I've nearly done a year now) - the one thing we've always agreed on is that life is much better without Opiates, even with significant physical pain. Its hard to express why but for me it was like leaving the fog, being able to think, plan and experience things again. Like being me again.

I've been clean nearly a year now and each month gets a little better, and the pains get less and less. Looking back I can see that even after quitting my Opiate frazzled brain was still fuzzy and strange, every month everything seems to improve - a bit less pain, a bit less depression/anxiety.

You've done great having a go at cold turkey and tapering. I think your slow taper plan is good but it sounds like you could do with some support from some professionals to help you get through. Worth discussing with your GP? 

• Posted

Oly is right Lyndsey , he puts things so much better than I can . Seek help from your GP come up with a plan . It's a long old road olys been on his nearly a year and I've been on mine since October last year. There's no nice way to say it but it sucks , the withdrawal period , being tierd all the time being in pain 24:7 just trying to feel normal it takes a long time but it will come , that I promise . We all do things different I hid from my problem for a long time and belive me it's always better talking and seeking help . Hope things get better for you .
    • Posted

Yeah, it's long old journey - I started on MST(Morphine Sulphate), Paracetamol, anti- depressants, sleeping tablets, Diazepam/valium, anti-inflammatory and Oramorph (liquid Morphine) after my bike accident in September 2014. Along with that I'd had more nasties in hospital. After 7 months I was a drug mess but still very broken and in pain. Today I take nothing, just a sleeping tablet or Diazepam on bad days every week or two. I ended up at the local drug and alcohol place and they gave me anti-withdrawl medication that made quitting much easier. I was like a fish out of water there, they didn't really know what to do with me at first as I wasn't their usual addict but they were great.

It's kind of good times for pain killer addicts as the press is now covering it much more, mis-prescribing like your GP (he should really check your situation before giving them out) is a real problem - they are obliged to relieve your pain, seemingly irrespective of the addictive properties of their drugs: my GP never supported me reducing, he just wanted me gone with a prescription.

• Posted

My story .. I was in the army for ten years and had a back injury . The army never supported me but i ended up leaving anyway . When I finally found out after a MRI I had L4/L5 prolapse disks not only that I had scatica down both legs so I was in a lot of pain . I started on paracetamol then cocodamal ,then codeine then I tried tramadol and finally MST . I started on a low dose but ended up taking nearly 140 mg a day plus oramorph I was in a right mess . I was scared and hid my self away from the world . Most of all I was embaress I had gotten myself in to the mess I did . I met oly on this site and opened up to him and decided to help myself . I seen my GP came up with a plan I went cold turkey .

It was the worst pain i had gone through mostly emotional but with the help of my partner and chatting to oly I got there . I have great days and the odd day I have bad day where I am a lil fatigued bit p*ssed off but I just get through it . I am not ashamed nor embaressed any more and I happy to talk to anyone in the same position .

• Posted

I quit hydros for 3 weeks , 3 weeks ago. Horribly sick! I caved and I'm not happy about it. My mother is sick and I was tired of feeling so fuzzy headed and nauseated. I'm afraid if I talk to my dr about it, he'd send me to rehab... Can't go til Mama is well and then I'm just going to have too. Cold turkey sucks!

• Posted

Hey lyndsy, I posted up on this forum a few weeks ago about my long struggle with codeine. I have been free from prescription strength codeine now for a few weeks, and it's been a really bloody difficult battle.

Eventually though it's your will power that has to overrule everything else.

I realise now why it took me so long to quit, and it because I didn't want to. It was only when I had come to to terms with it all in my head that I could actually focus on stopping the continuous cycle of popping pills.

Tapering is the only way. Cold turkey is hell, and it's not worth putting yourself through that when there are easier ways.

I had to to do it all on my own but you have your GP on your side. You have to chat with them. You have to tell them the truth. There is no other way.

Taking so much paracetamol is never a good idea either. Iver time it is damaging but you'll already know that.

What you may not know however, is that there is only so much codeine that your body can convert to morphine every day. So after a certain amount (something like 320mg), you are just wasting it and may as well throw it down the drain.

I hope you manage to cut down for now at least. It will be years and years before you will reset your receptors and way of thinking. Your pain levels will be high for a while but make sure you take as many hot baths as possible! Insomnia is a horrible thing too, but be positive and use that time to do something instead of lying in bed getting mad with yourself.

Everyone is different, and if you don't truly want to give up the pills, then you won't. But if you think it's time to stop, then you will find a way.

Good luck. xx

• Posted

It's actually more than 320mg. Its more like 600mg. But there is a limit to what will work for you.
  • Posted

Hey lyndsy, how have you been doing over the last month? Have you dropped many?I was on 96-100 Nurofen plus daily and had many hospital stays after my potassiumlevels dropped dangerously low! I couldn't walk or lift my arms....i nearly died! After the last stay which was over 18 months ago now I got myself down to just 32 a day!when I got to that point I tapered down like this:

8 tablets every 4 hours for a week.

7 ". "

6" "

5"."

4"."

3 (which is where I'm at).........

It keeps the withdrawal's tolerable!

Your Doctor doesn't know about your. addiction does he/she? You need to be honest with them! I hope you are ok! If you want to chat just PM me.

Take care.

Kate X

• Posted

Hi there , skylar ... I have tapered down a fair bit , spoken to my doctor about it and was given diazepam instead , so now I'm on 2mg 3 times a day .. This seems to calm me down a fair bit.. I am still taking codiene but in smaller doses approx 10 solpadeiene Max tablets per day .. Spaced out .. Instead of 10 in one go of an evening ... I think I will always battle with this addiction .. My dog was given gabapentin for nerve damage by the vets .. I also tried some .. Didn't feel any different so didn't take anymore .. ( I have a lot of nerve pain I my right shoulder and side along right buttock ) sciatica I think the doctor thinks anyways .... It's going to be a long road I think ... I hope your recovery and tapering gets better and better each day for you skylar thank you for asking for me ....
  • Posted

Lyndsy! My old buddy smile

First things first, don't be ashamed and not come on here to talk to us. Hell, that's exactly what his forum is here for! Most of the people on here come on reading because they're in the exact same boat. Codeine addiction is such a widespread problem but very swept under the rug. Not like cocaine and heroin where you hear of stories all the time, rather something that everyone seems to keep to themselves.

And I think you coming on here last time helped you start your journey - so don't stop! We're here to help and offer advice, not to judge anyone.

I understand you've fallen off the waggon and if you were superhuman I'd be asking why but you're not. None of us are. And when we've tricked our brains for so long to tell them we need codeine then we obviously then start to come dependant and it's hard to retrain your brain.

I've been there twice now. I got some tablets off a colleague at work a good few months back, I knew exactly what they were (Solpadeine Max) took two thinking I'd be fine. But then the rush, the floaty warm feeling, the pain gone. But I convinced myself whilst I was in pain id be fine because I've beaten the addiction right? Wrong! A week afterwards I was back to taking a load of them but I caught myself in time and cut them off. As it was only a week relapse it was easy enough.

All I can say is try again. Try and do your taper and remember when your head is aching and your legs fidgeting and your sweating and irritable just take that and use it. Use it as a sign that your clever little body is getting the message that you're not getting any more codeine. And trust me after a long 7 days (it will take time to get to that after your taper) you will see clearer, think clearer and you'll genuinely wonder why you ever needed to take them to feel alright. Trust me. I can't explain it in any other way but it's just clarity. Take it hour by hour day by day and be the strongest you have ever been and you can beat this. If not for yourself, for your bank balance! Bloomin expensive solpadeine Max tablets!

Don't give up. But don't expect it to be an easy ride. As long as you prepare yourself for a tough week (with plenty of Imodium) I guarantee you will feel better than you have in years. And once you get there, take it from me, you can never take another opiate in your life. I thought I'd be fine and I wasn't. Keep us updated and don't be shy if you aren't hitting target - were here to help you.

Lots of well wishes! Jayd X

• Posted

Hey Hun ??

Well it's just 3 weeks till Vegas now and getting married .. Stressful few months to say the least ..

I'm still in the same boat but again instead of knocking back 10 at a time I'm taking 3-4 , x3 a day ... So about 12 ..

Then when the doctors prescription comes through instead of a week of use ( 30mg ) ones it's lasting about 2.5 weeks .. Or so ....

Not on the diazepam anymore though which was mucking me up a bit .. , I do feel the effects if I do take more than 3-4 a time with a sore lower back and side , not sure if that's kidneys telling me to pack it in or not ..

I talked to my other half and they said to be realistic , go on holiday , take enough tablets ( ill save my prescription ) and when I get back absolutely no more. As I don't want to ruin my holiday by being in the loo for 10 days ?? I'm no longer taking enough to give me any kind of high anymore which is good , and I'm sleeping right through the night now for 10 hours some nights ( going to bed early ) and obv not taking any between the nights now .. Which is a positive. , your right bloody expensive solpadeiene Max ??... , I just wish I could click my fingers and it would be all over .. , I'm off work for 5 days after I come back from Vegas so going to go cold turkey after then , will give me chance just being in the house etc , on holiday as il be taking stronger tablets I'm planning on spacing them out there and hopefully with the heat and fun I won't be so occupied with them .. I'm hoping any ways .. My biggest fear is going through security and they say not allowed to take them ??... I think I would actually just turn around and go home !..

I know you said a while back they are cool taking stuff through to Vegas as long as in the box and with my name on them , should be fine , il put 2 strips in my hand bag and rest in my luggage case ( I get 100 ) so saving them for Vegas. . If makes sense ... How have you been ???? Hope your well xx

• Posted

Hi lyndsy 

allthough codeine is a weaker opioid compared to stronger painkillers ( such as morphine or pethedine ) they are still opium derivatives and share the same side effects ( just not as severe)

however withdrawl from codeine can be bad and can present all the same symptoms as morphine or methadone withdrawl .... and this includes anxiety,sweats,muscle aches .. however there are some home remedies that can help your withdrawls 

drinking tonic water can help with leg and back aches as the quinine (thats in the drink ) reduces the severity ..... buscopan can help with stomach cramps and ( most important ) lopramide can help with diarrhoea..and this is the most common symptom as codiene constipates really bad so when you reduce it you will notice diarrhoea

however all drug/alcohol services in the uk now help with codeine addiction ... and they can not only supply you with the codeine you need but also reduce you safely and as comfortable as posssible 

you can find you neatest service at http://www.talktofrank.com/need-support  .. just enter your postcode and you can then ring them for a chat and see about help 

please let me know how your getting on and if you need any advice .. 

bri 

• Posted

Thank you so much for this Brian , can I ask , do I need to give my doctors details ?? I'm too embarrassed to confess just yet as worried they'll have me down as an addict and I wouldn't in future ever get any sort of anxiety meds or pain killers for fear I would get hooked again , I want to get off them myself , but help in a group would be very useful to me , and thank you for the advice on tonic water I would never have thought of this ! Thanks so much X

• Posted

Hey lyndsy, I unfortunately went to my doctor and outed myself as a self confessed codeine addict, and now my doctor won't even prescribe paracetamol (exaggerated slightly), but he treats me very differently now, even though I did everything to help make his life easier.

I have officially had a black mark on my records and it will even cause issues should I need meds after an operation.

Good luck, but I would be very keen to keep it away from your GP if you can.

• Posted

Thanks rob , defo that's my thoughts too regards not telling the gp , as that was my fear. . Imagine being 50 or 60 and not being able to get any pain relief .. Not ideal ... , how's your recovery now ??? Hope your well x

• Posted

Hi lyndsy 

as robstacky stated correctly doctors will sometimes simply cease your codeine script as soon as you say you have a problem,which is wrong,however thats why local drug services now support all addictions including codeine 

codeine addiction is actually more common that you think .. zapain ( codeine 30mg/500mg paracetamol ) is the painkiller of choice for most doctors and works well but 60mg of codeine (standard dose 4 x daily ) will give you a good hit .... you feel warm and you are more sociable ... you can find interests in everyday life and the world seems a nice place .... however the problem being this is a false feeling and stopping them would make the world a horrible place and the other symptoms would appear 

personally i would use the link supplied ( FRANK ) to find your local drug service .. dont feel embarrased as many people use these services ( not just hardcore junkies ) .. i spoke to a person who was addicted to 8mg codeine and couldnt stop ... people also get addicted to cough medicine ... its widespread 

tonic water is amazing ... stops all leg cramps and i lost 2 weeks sleep due to cramps ... after taking a glass of tonic water i havent had a sleepless night ... also try vitamin B12 as this helps to promote a strong mental health and well being ... ( i get mine at superdrug ) 

i wish you all the best lyndsy and hope you find the support you need 

brian XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.