Back pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all.  

I think this question has been posted before, but just in case it hasn't -

Has anyone else found that they start suffering with lower back pain several weeks after their hip replacement?

i am coming upto to 3months since LTHR and in the last week I have been getting a lot of pain in right lower back.  This evening, it is the worst it has been, I think I may have trapped something.  Taken naproxen and now paracetemol. Think I will be laying down soon.

thank goodness I still have the grabbers and the trusty shoehorn.!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I get lower back pain on the right hand side pelvis area same as operated side  but also had this before my op. It is connected to the hip muscles. I think it may be the psoas muscle which can linked to hip problems. I haven't had as much trouble with it post op but do get aching in that area if I do to much especially anything involving bending.
    • Posted

Thank you.  Glad we are able to ask away on this forum. 😄
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

Sorry you are suffering with your back - I can commiserate because it has been the first thing I have mentioned to my physio at each of my three post-op sessions.  I'm 7 weeks post THR now, and it is my back that is causing me the most grief.  I have been given some gentle core strengthening exercises - one called the Bridge, where you lie on your back, draw both legs up, then whilst clenching glutes, roll your spine down (not explaining this very well!).  Hold for count of 5, then release gradually.  This week, I was added the joy of lifting my bottom off the bed too and holding.  You should be able to google a better description of it.  Also told to sit on chair/edge of bed and whilst holding in stomach muscles and clenching glutes, sort of slump gradually forward, then straigten up and arch back.  All gentle, slow movements to stretch out poor old back.  I asked if there was anything more vigourous I could do yet, but advised not to.

Just to add, my back has not been at its best since my two c-sections 20 and 17 years ago.  So my funny pre-op limp didn't help it either.  I tried reducing my pain meds the last week, somedays having none at all, and it  wasn't helpful!  My physio said  I should go back on them so I could ramp up the exercises, which is what I need in order to strengthen muscles everywhere.

Sorry to go on a bit - but hope this helps.  You are not alone!

all the best

Cheryl

• Posted

Thank you Cheryl.  Happy for any advice or suggestions.  I did understand your explanation, so when I am not grimacing so much I will try the exercises. Hope you are getting on okay though in your recovery. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, I agree its all in the posture, perhaps your stick is too short...Mine was, just a hole or two...try it and see give it a few days, and get back to me...Kind regards Ian.
    • Posted

Thanks Ian.  I only used a stick after the crutches went back and that was several weeks ago.  Probably aggravated it due to bending and still doing too much.  The joys of being pain free with a new hip.  Expect it will calm down eventually.  It's a bit like the sleeping and other post op symptoms. Regards Sarah
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, I've been suffering from lower back pain and blaming it on walking with a limp due to my poor left hip, I'm pre-op.

I had an MRI scan and they found a prolapsed No. 5 disc, the bit between the vertibrae is pushing out backwards and touching nerves. The cure (or help) was to lie on my stomach on the carpet and rest in that position. Then several times a day get back into that position but aim to do a press-up without letting my hips leave the floor. So push with your arms and look backwards up at the ceiling. Hold for 10 seconds, then relax back on the floor. Repeat 10 times. Repeat several times a day. If it was not possible to lie on the floor, stand up tall, keep your hips still and look up and backwards as high as you can, pushing out the stomach too arch your back, hold for 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat 10 times. Worked for me smile

• Posted

Thanks for suggestions.  Still having trouble with kneeling down on the floor, so think that is out for the moment. 😊. Will try the other when the pain eases a bit. Although technically, post op you are not supposed to twist body (broken that rule weeks ago).  Are you going to have hip done soon?  Sarah 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah ... How are you feeling this morning ... Good Lord, yes .... I am 16 weeks post-op (already??) today and 4-5 weeks ago my back started to hurt - locked ... could barely sit or stand straight - picking something up from a table, anything was so painful .... I had R THR and found out at follow up visit that Left needs surgery soon ... not helping ... I could not do any exercises ... swinging hips let to right, belly dance ... happy cat, angry cat, bridge ...nothing - even started to use the walker again-   my GP doubled the pain medication and it went away - not completely but so much better ... I know that my gait is so off and I am so tense trying to do everything right - it feels like going back to square one, doesn't it ?   My physical therapist gave me a couple of massages and that really helped too ... so maybe a good massage will bring you some relief ... take care and be gentle with yourself today ... grabber is still my best friend ... 

big hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee. Don't we all sound full of woe's on the forum. But where would we be without it, as so helpful. Anyway dosed myself up with painkillers so had fairly pain free night. Even the sleep was better. Managed to get chiropractor appointment this morning and it is now much better. As Sarah also posted, it was probably to with right side not sure what to do, as left side repaired. The muscles had tightened up, so this was causing the pain. He released the offending problem and apart from soreness, all sorted. Frozen peas on area for 10mins every few hours now just to ease the area .

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I am a physiotherapist who deals with back problems.

The reasons for LBP before and after total hip replacement are very different.

LBP beforhand is usually associated with limping caused by the defective hip. The typical limp is a known as a rolling sailor's gait as the upper body tips from left to right with each step. Pain beforehand may also be to do with gradualy shortening of the problem leg as the head of the femur flattens. Pain after THR is usually caused by the hip surgeon surgeon correcting the leg length discrepancy! He does his best to lengthen the leg again by selecting a longer titanium shaft below the titanium head. Trouble is, the body has spent so long adapting to the leg gradually shortening that this comes as a bit of a shock (read pain). The good news is that it does ease off in a month or two. You can help things along by doing decompression exercises for the lower back. 

Sarah Key MVO

• Posted

Hi Sarah 17609 .... good to know ... how are decompression exercises done?   my back hurts so much and feels locked ...

thank you 

big hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

Best to go on the site simplebackpain and see there 'how to use the backblock' and all the spinal decompression pages. There are lots. You can use the Search option in the left hand Nav bar.

Sarah Key

• Posted

Thank you for the information, it is really helpful and much along the same lines as the chiropractor said this morning. On the mend now (hopefully).

Regards Sarah

• Posted

Hello Sarah, hope you don't mind me coming in here but I was fascinated by your reply, I am a 47 year old female, I'm 1 year post op left THR, my back pain as you stated started 2 years before surgery and a recent MRI confirms I have a prolapsed disc (L5), this back pain is far far worse and more debilitating than my hip ever was! (I have no neural impingement thank god) I'm a hairdresser so I realise my jobs probably not helping, I'm just in constant agony, and I've said since day one that I can "feel" the stem in my thigh, I know my surgeon gave me extra leg length as it's been shorter since birth(I was born with hip displacia), is it possible that my back just doesn't like the new me and my new straightness?? Would you advise physio for me as I can get this on the NHS? Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm pretty desperate, xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.