Back pain getting worse

Posted , 4 users are following.

Feeling like rubbish today!

The pain and spasms are so intense i struggle to move and do my daily jobs sometimes. My back was so stiff when i got up this morning it pretty much stays like this all day.

I am taking cocodamol but these only take the edge off lightly. i was given tramadol but they make me so spaced out i dont like taking them.

I am unable to sit, stand or walk for long due to the pain, i phoned the pain clinic where i have been referred to and got told there is a 30 week wait this is not helping me at all!

I am suffering so badly and i have now been told i am not an urgent case and have to wait! so not fair!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Dawn. You haven't said much about where in your back your hurting or rather or not you have done any imaging studies to determine if there is any obvious problem going on...if you have done this and there was no obvious issue....I would strongly suggest you look into posture related pain... I believe everyone should look into this when visits to physicians have  not resulted in an answer to someone's unexplained pain. Posture related pain will not show up on imaging, however you may see the consequences of it on imaging such as bulging disc, degeneration, etc., Muscles particularly the fascia  have a great deal of sensory receptors that when overworked can create a lot of discomfort. Posture related pain can get so bad it can make it difficult to even lay down comfortably. I, myself, have personal experience with this. The questions one must ask self is why are the muscles of the back in spasm? Maybe if they don't, I will fall on my face perhaps. What am I doing everytime they begin to really tighten up? Am I looking down? Do I have my arms out in front of me forward rounding my shoulders and hunching my upper back? When I raise my arms up over my head do I have an excessively arched lower back? Am I most comfortable laying flat down with no pillows under my head? If I back my heels butt and lower shoulder blades up to a wall is my head touching the wall or do I have to lean the head back to get it there....if your answers are yes and no one can explain your symptoms then there is a good chance you have bad posture that needs correcting. In this situation, you would need the help of a physical therapist who is very experienced in muscle imbalances particularly forward head postures with upper/ lower cross syndrome patterns. Best wishes!

• Posted

Hi

Sorry i started reading and then realised that i had not put in the details i normally do, i have scolosis and lower 4 inflammed vertebrea in my spine. this was determined by my osteopath who i see every 2 months to sort out the muscles in my back.

The pain is more central and travels up and down my spine, not really doen my legs but occassionally the pain is going down them.

I have seen my gp who has referred me to the pain management clinic as this has now been going on for a year. It is not posture related as i still get pain when laying down.

• Posted

Do you have functional scoliosis or structural scoliosis....if it is functional, this means something is causing it and the curve disappears in certain positions...Functional scoliosis is a symptom and secondary to another problem. I have a friend who has functional scoliosis due to forward head posture and anterior pelvic tilt...posture issues cause weakened musculature, misalignment, and as a consequence muscle spasms as the body tries to maintain stability & lots of inflammation due to repetitive strains...I only mention this not to persuade you as I don't know your particular circumstances (if it is structural scoliosis that is a different story)...I just don't want you to conclude you don't have this simply because you still hurt laying down...so did I...it was miserable....don't dismiss posture if it is functional scoliosis and you don't get relief from your Doctors.

• Posted

it is structural as it is there and visible to my OH has commented how he can see the curvature.

my gp has also agreed as well as my osteopath that this is not going to get better, i just have to manage it.

• Posted

Dawn,

I have come to realize that doctors sometimes overlook the fact that pain does exist and sometimes just a tylenol or ibuprophen doesn't do the trick and that we need relief from what pain we suffer. I think it's like they don't care if it's not them in pain it doesn't hurt them and they act like sometimes that you just want pain med's to get high or some crap like that and that just infuriates me that so many people use pain medications for pleasure of the feeling it gives them when there are those out there that really do have pain and need these med's but have to suffer because they don't want to give us what we need in order to manage our days but on another note I guess I should quit rambling and get to my point. There are those of us who are in pain and need help and we shouldn't be punished or put aside saying that we're not urgent and can wait, pain is pain and their definition of urgent, how do they know how urgent we are they are not us and don't walk a day in our shoes and your right it's not fair that they don't treat people as equal because they don't know what we are going through. I hope you do find someone that will give you some relief. There are only a few hand fulls of doctors out there that really realize what kind of pain we are in and help the best way they can. God Bless you and keep you is my prayers and keep us updated to what is going on with you and I hope you find relief soon...

• Posted

hi

i hear you loud and clear and i am angry that i am being dismissed due to the pain. i have seen 2 gps and i have got further with thesecond one.

thank you for your kind words smile

• Posted

I know what you mean, I called my Ortho Doctor Monday with concerns about my hand, I had pain and swelling and the swelling was making the pain worse and I had told them about going to the emergency room last Wednesday night with pain in my shoulder and they kept on telling me that he couldn't see me for my shoulder that he didn't do shoulder work and it took me 3 days and an act of congress to make them see that I wasn't asking him about my shoulder but letting them know what was going on with my hand, the whole reason why I went through the Emergency room with my shoulder is I know he is my workers comp doctor and he is suppose to take care of any hand issues that I have and just want to keep talking about my shoulder. I finally got to them today and he's called me in a prescription for a Medrol pak Steroids for the swelling in my hand. I don't know why they couldn't just do that to begin with instead of making such a big deal outta it.

• Posted

Ooh my gosh! 30 weeks. Is this the only doctor around?
    • Posted

this is for the pain clinic i have seen my gp who referred me and i cannot bring this forward i have to wait even if it means being in agony.
    • Posted

That ridiculous. There's no reason your GP can't provide you with pain meds until you see your pain clinic. He is really doing you a disservice

• Posted

I am already on 50/300 cocodamol and have been since nov 15.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.